When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any of you ride modern bikes?

-

Pauliemon

Finally riding a big boys bike
I never had many bikes as a kid. Where I live(d) we walked most places. Everything we needed was close, grocery store, movie theater, school, etc all within walking distance. Plus bikes got ripped off here. I remember finding my locked Schwinn seatless!

I got into vintage bikes when I was at a mountain bike race. I saw a American Flyer boardtracker. Bam set the hook! The builder had even airbrushed rust on it.

I raced motocross and needed a fun training tool. A mountain bike fit the bill. Bicycles took over my life and I never looked back. I still love moto, I'm just to old to race it now. Now some freaks will ride a moto bike when they're 68 and that's fine. I see em creeping around the track. Creeping ain't fun. Smashing berms, grabbing air and going warp speeds on rough ground that's fun. I can't do that anymore.

Bike racing was my life. I had a wheel building business and worked as a mechanic at a couple of shops. Later I was hired by Ventana Mountain Bikes as a frame builder. Best job I ever had. They paid me to make cool stuff all day long. They also told me I could make anything I want for myself and I did.
404.jpg

Ventana El Toro. Ventana was the first company to make a production single speed mountain bike.
078.jpg

Ventana El Rey
303.jpg

Ventana El Comandante
452.jpg

Ventana El Martillo CX
20190831_131028.jpg

Giant Defy SLR
20190520_133614.jpg

Blue Collar Nigel

Just the tip of the iceberg.

I ride my brother in law's Diamondback that zI am storing at my house.. Nice bike, light and I do like the Shimano "rapidfire: indexed shifting.
View attachment 1056312
Man! When Rapidfire came out we couldn't get our hands on it quick enough. Now modern high end bike are 12 speed with electronic shifting. The only cables are 2 brake cables. Who knows by now maybe brakes are electronic too. Think I'll skip those.

That's a cool bike. Love the color, style, look. You'll be waiting a while for that saddle to break in. May I suggest WTB saddles if it becomes intolerable. Many styles, most very affordable. 20 miles on a 43lb single speed, you're a stud!
it is actually a mere 35 lbs, it really rolls along pretty easily. Took it for a 24 mile ride last week. After a total of 110 miles the seat is still hard as a rock, but not really uncomfortable. From what I have read it takes 300 to 400 miles to break in that type of seat. I am going for that. I did change out the grips for a pair of Ergon GC1 Biokork grips. Big improvement. It is a fun bike.

I test rode a leftover 2017 Masi Strada Vita Due last spring. I really liked it. But I always give some time to cool off before a big purchase. I never ended up going back for it. My newest at that time was a 1955.
1568076238233.jpeg

Back