When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any way to identify a Phantom frame?

-

snickle

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have what I was told was a 52 Phantom, the serial is on the rear left area where the wheel goes and it had the phantom parts on it but is there any sure way to tell if this is a genuine Phantom frame? I know the paint job is not correct, but is there any way to tell for sure?

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 212
Other than original paint on a frame, you can't really tell. Serial numbers only tell year so it could have been one of several models Schwinn offered.

Thank you for your reply friend. I guess I will have to chip at the paint and see whats underneath. Does that crank look right to you?

The Phantom decal on the chain guard is from a 1959 bike the only year that decal was used. I think you have a bike someone made. I hope you didn't pay a lot. Roger

Actually that decal isn't even correct for a '59. That looks to to made from some vinyl letters or something but not Schwinn! v/r Shawn
The Phantom decal on the chain guard is from a 1959 bike the only year that decal was used. I think you have a bike someone made. I hope you didn't pay a lot. Roger

The serial number on the rear drop out is not correct for a 1952 phantom.

Im not sure, but according to this site 52 did have the serial on the left rear dropout

Code:
http://www.angelfire.com/rant/allday101/SchwinnCodes1.html

I paid $500 for this bike, I think I got my money's worth with the locking fork and other parts. As for the decal on the chainguard, I have seen a google image or 2 with those exact letters, but the majority is the cursive writing. Thanks for the replies guys, Im learning.

Rhenning is right. The bike was probably parted together. But it's pretty rare to find a sixty year old bike that isn't at least partly parted together. The gooseneck isn't a fifties from what I can tell, and the seat isn't either. Still, not a bad deal at $500., but neither is it a Phantom. Ride it, and enjoy.

JWM

This is great information guys, I appreciate all of it, can someone show me a picture of the correct gooseneck? I also purchased a hornet wasp from the same guy that appears to be correct (except for the seat and rear rack, and the front light is questionable) I paid $300 for this one and have since replaced the seat with a tan troxel similar to the one on the phantom even though I know it is supposed to have one of those 2 tone seats on it. Does this hornet have the gooseneck that the phantom is supposed to have? Also, I know the rims are supposed to be painted, but I just barely got the bike and at least they're S2's :)

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 131
Back