When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody Dimpled a Frame for a Whizzer?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Western-Whizzer

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi everybody! I was curious if anyone has ever crimped a frame for a Whizzer?
Did you have to heat the frame? Any pictures or helpful hints would be much appreciated.
I have made exact replica dimpling tools, but haven't made the supporting back molds yet.
Any info would be great. Thank you!
WZ (8).jpg

Thank you! I am just curious if Schwinn dimpled the chain stays while they were cold, or if they heated them up.
Here are the exact tools that I built. I made molds of the original dimples, and then copied every curve.
I made these with a hack saw and file. It took over 10 tries before I got them exact.
Now they fit inside the factory dimples like a glove.
The 2nd photo makes the wedge look slightly different, but that is just the angle of the photo.
I am having the back supports caste in aluminum to fit the chain stays perfectly.
This way they will not be distorted.
When I am done I should be able to leave factory looking dimples on bikes.
I hope I don't upset anybody, but after dimpling a frame I am going to stamp my initials on the bottom bracket.
This way, these frames can be separated from the originals.
dimplers (1).JPG
dimplers (2).JPG

dimplers (3).JPG
dimples 4.JPG

I doubt if Schwinn used any heat when they dimpled the frames. The tubing used is pretty soft and fairly easy to bend.

That is what I thought too, but when I did a practice dimple on a 1959 girls frame, it was hard as hell. When I have the backing made, I will give it another try.

I guess heat would help.I wonder if that would open the door up for stress cracks in the future. Tough call. I think you have the right idea practicing on scrap frames.

I would guess that Schwinn had some sort of hydraulic press that just instantly pressed them in with ease. I will be welding these dimple wedges on to a heavy duty vise, and then press them in one turn at a time. Another clue that they were probably not heated is that there are no signs of burn marks on the frames in that location. But at the same time I do not see any burn marks where they brazed on the extended brake arm clamp. Perhaps they did use heat but then cleaned those areas afterwords? In the end, I will guess that no heat was used. As soon as I have the chain stay supports made, I will post the details and photos. Thank you everybody!

Last edited:
Back