When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody have any thoughts on this bike?

-

BLK80SLT

Look Ma, No Hands!
I'm trying to get this bike identified, and am looking for anyone who recognizes certain features like the "A" on the seat tube lug along with the fish mouth stays. I believe It's English, from the 40s or 50s. Accles & Pollock "A", along with serial number 95112 with a 7 below it on the head tube . Nervex professional lugs including the bb with the same serial number on it. No head tube badge holes. Here's a few pics. Any help is very much appreciated.
20181105_103712-1152x2048.jpg
forks3.jpg
frame5_crop_645x929.jpg
frame7.jpg
20181105_222106.jpg
nvx18c.jpg
tube.jpg

20181105_222106.jpg

Stunning work on the fork crown - agree on the Nervex head tube lug.
The right fork lamp boss says it's definitely English

I'm also willing to bet the DT shifter boss is English and will only fit Cyclo - 1951 or later.
If there's a left-side shifter boss, it could be as early as 1951, but more likely later than 1957

That's also a pretty large serial number for any English frame builder, so I think I'd be looking for larger and longer-lived shops.
RR095sr.jpg

Last edited:
Stunning work on the fork crown - agree on the Nervex head tube lug.
The right fork lamp boss says it's definitely English

I'm also willing to bet the DT shifter boss is English and will only fit Cyclo - 1951 or later.
If there's a left-side shifter boss, it could be as early as 1951, but more likely later than 1957

That's also a pretty large serial number for any English frame builder, so I think I'd be looking for larger and longer-lived shops.
View attachment 944145
It did have just a right side shifter boss. I had the frame painted, and had him install two new modern bosses.
The restoration is now complete, but I'd like to be able to decal it if I knew what decals to use.
20190108_125044.jpg

-----

A & P advert for their KROMO tubeset from near to the time of subject frameset -

de5iz5.jpg

Curious as to crown. EKLA, Haden & Vagner all did models similar to what we have here. EKLA generally marked their name on the underside so would think that eliminates them from consideration.

ogki6h.jpg

11hxste.jpg

Closest Vagner match in me catalogues is the 12+.

34jaw3l.jpg

Do not have any Haden illustrations from this era. Suspect they may turn out to be the maker. One needs to keep in mind that it was common for builders to modify and/or add to frame building bits.

The experts are sure to identify it in due course...

The letter A on the seat lug is telling. IIRC this mark belongs to one of the larger Brit producers but am unable to bring up the name.

As ever, we need to hear from our Professor @MauriceMoss. He is sure to eliminate all doubt.

-----

All great info. Very much appreciated. The person who painted it for me, Andy Muzi from Yellow Jersey, said there were no markings on the frame to identify it as Reynolds 531 or A&P, but he said that means nothing. Only the A&P markings on the steerer tube. I know it weighed just under 4 lbs without the fork, so It's pretty light.
8e614ad7ae576abc2edfd731b69b5a24.jpg
3c7049e4d1fbf4f6761c563f1d2d28d5.jpg
82b267e1b49c8c5c0c16a2dc42f6cc75.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

-----

Thanks very much for the additional information and imagery. ;)

The frame's NERVEX Professioal lugset is pattern nr. 49/162.

Pump pegs appear to be NERVEX as well, item nr. 845.

Have encountered these dropouts previously but do not know maker. Two possibilities might be Brampton & Cyclo.

As am sure you understand having only a drive side shift boss does not necessarily indicate machine came ex-works with single plateau drive. It is more than early enough to consider a manual ("suicide") front mech as possible so it may have been constructed with a two plateau drive train. It does appear sufficiently early that a 4V gear block may have been a possibility (making no claims).

Does the serial which appears on steerer appear on shell as well?

Juy pillar a nice touch.

Brakes appear to be set up without QR...unless I am missing something.

Mounting washer on back side of fork crown is not correct. It is Weinmann item nr. 1056 and is intended for front side of crown. Mounting washer for rear side of crown is item nr. 56.

35lvxw3.jpg

------

Last edited:
He moved a pump peg closer to accomodate a more modern pump. They were pretty far apart. I also had a left side cable guide added. He used a correct matching piece he had on hand. I believe the rear dropouts are Stallard, as I've determined through research. Neither the front or rear have any markings at all. I never saw the frame with any previous parts so I really don't know how it was originally set up. The brakes were a set I had on hand so I put them on until I decide on what will be permanently installed. I'm deciding between Mafac Racer, or GB Coureur 66. I'm not sure which would be more appropriate. I'm certainly not restoring it to original, but if I can use some more correct parts, I will.
The serial number is on the bottom of the Nervex shell as well as the steerer tube. If someone would recognize the pattern of that serial number, it would be a huge part of the puzzle solved. Andy at Yellow Jersey said it was most likely done by a smaller Artisan in 1950s England, but he couldn't say for sure who. I replaced that front brake seating pad about a week ago. Nice catch though.

20190207_142629.jpg

20190207_145918.jpg20190207_151703.jpg

Last edited:
------

Thanks very much.

The GB Coureur 66 launched 1962 (IIRC!), the MAFAC Racer slightly earlier but have never known exact date.

If you are able to date frame it may help with fittings choices.

BTW - who is the black spectre we see peeking in? :yum:

------

Back