When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody know what this was originally?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The Allvit branded derailleur came out in 1958. The Continental 10 speed was introduced in 1960 and was upgrade for the 2nd half of the 1961 production with Huret equipment. The Varsity was upgraded to a 10 speed from an 8 speed at the time also but did not have Huret equipment until the 1962 model. So the facts are more than incorrect in the DISRAELI GEARS write up.

Quote:
In 1955 Schwinn introduced their first derailleur bicycle - the Schwinn Continental. It was not a success. However in 1960 they introduced the Schwinn Varsity model and kicked off the first in a series of booms in the sales of derailleur bicycles that reverberate to this day.

The first Schwinn Approved derailleurs were Huret Allvits. I have been told that the ‘bash guard’ on the outside of the second style of Allvit (introduced in 1961) may have been added at Schwinn’s request. Certainly the timing would match, as Schwinn moved their Varsity model from Simplex to the Huret Allvit for the 1961 model year. This was before the Schwinn Approved label was in use.
I got my Continental 10 speed in mid summer 1961. I came with the Simplex derailleur. How did that happen, since the only Schwinn approved ones were Huret or Allvits? Was it up to the store to outfit the bike and it decided to go no Schwinn approved?

I got my Continental 10 speed in mid summer 1961. I came with the Simplex derailleur. How did that happen, since the only Schwinn approved ones were Huret or Allvits? Was it up to the store to outfit the bike and it decided to go no Schwinn approved?

The 1961 Continental had a mid year production change with all new Huret components and Atom freewheel, plus a new decal package. None of these parts had Schwinn Approved on them nor did any later Huret equipped road bikes until 1968 when the Sprint branded Huret parts were replaced. This is my late 1961 Radiant Red Continental and Coppertone 1962 Conti that was spec'd pretty much identical to the late 1961 model.

1961 Continental Tourist 003 (Large).jpg

62 Continental 009.JPG

62 Continental 003.JPG

62 Continental 010.JPG

62 Conti 4.jpg

I took another look at the 1951 options list that @GTs58 posted. It states that the Benelux derailleur was available on the C16 and W19. If you look on the price list on the Waterford Bikes/Tom Findley catalog scans, those are the Continental Clubman and the World Traveler Clubman. I don't remember ever seeing a "World Traveler Clubman", so I'm not going to rule out this being factory just yet.
Now I'm getting an itch to go see this bike. Darn it Gary, I don't need any more projects!

View attachment 1619530

😂 I'm sorry, and this also piqued my interest. I knocked on @rennfaron's door and then asked if he's ever seen a World Traveler Clubman. And one with a derailleur! He responded with a 1951 catalog image of that model and believes it was only a 1951 thing, if it did actually get produced. Then the 1960 catalog page with the 8 speed Traveler and Racer came to my mind. These never materialized as far as I know.
Do you have the serial number of the piece in question?

1651713957848.png

1651714151536.png

cyclo-catalogue-559-page-04-filtered.jpg

Found this randomly on Google...with no date info. 😒
Looks like yer Cyclo braze on and the maroon clubman's hasp clamp option in the same diagram.

Opened up more confusion though. I had a Paramount on the stand with dropouts similar to this diagram...I thought they were called Osgear dropouts?(according to what the serial number came up as on a Paramount registry), and it was supposedly a 47 model. I found this dropout/year info after I was tasked with reconnecting the Benelux setup ...and couldn't find hardware to get the shifter mounted correctly(lack of square lug or cyclo lock washer to fit the 2-flat lug). Thinking I've seen similar Cyclo derailleurs identified as 47's too.
IMG_20220113_1448033.jpg

IMG_20220119_1337437.jpg

Glad to see the World was available as a Clubman model too though!

Edit to clarify, I don't think the Benelux dropout mount derailleur was correct on this blue Paramount...and thinking the type in the diagram was more apropriate for this World and that Paramount.

Last edited:
Nice. Another iteration.
I don't think that's in the cyclo folder in the VCC library. I've seen that derailleur bracket on the, what im now assuming is the earlier style stay bracket.
Still has the push pull and the screen door spring.
At this point, I'd have to go get that bike if I were close.
It's gonna have to be a Traveler clubman...the pull of the esoteric.

😂 I'm sorry, and this also piqued my interest. I knocked on @rennfaron's door and then asked if he's ever seen a World Traveler Clubman. And one with a derailleur! He responded with a 1951 catalog image of that model and believes it was only a 1951 thing, if it did actually get produced. Then the 1960 catalog page with the 8 speed Traveler and Racer came to my mind. These never materialized as far as I know.
Do you have the serial number of the piece in question?

View attachment 1619721

View attachment 1619727
I've tried contacting the seller three times so far, but have yet to hear back. It makes me wonder if he's sold the bike but is too slack to take the ad down.

Back