When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody know what this was originally?

-
I was wondering if I could do something like that on my Raleigh 3 Speed until I saw a 12 speed World Sport in a junk store.

-----

the gear hanger appears it may be one of the patterns from Huret

catalogue page of 1956 -

View attachment 1612042

Simplex (Juy) and Cyclo of England

had similar gear hanger patterns

Cyclo of England hanger -

View attachment 1612045

this is item Ref. no. T/E

-----
My 1961 Continental 10 Speed came with a Simplex derailleur similar to that. A real piece of junk. Saved up my lunch money and got something better.

My 1961 Continental 10 Speed came with a Simplex derailleur similar to that. A real piece of junk. Saved up my lunch money and got something better.
From what I've read on the "Disraeli Gears" website, the Huret Alvit came out in the early '60's, and those older designs were soon dropped after that. I believe the first year Continental was the only one to use the Simplex. Have any pictures?

From what I've read on the "Disraeli Gears" website, the Huret Alvit came out in the early '60's, and those older designs were soon dropped after that. I believe the first year Continental was the only one to use the Simplex. Have any pictures?
No pictures. Got the Continental in 1961. Brand new. Might have been an earlier year that never sold. Did not see any 10 speeds in Houston until the late 60's. You could drive a motor scooter at age 14 then. Drive a car in exceptional cases to help family. No need for bikes. Parents got me the bike as they did not want me to have a motor scooter - NO YOU CANNOT BUY ONE WITH YOUR OWN MONEY.

The Allvit branded derailleur came out in 1958. The Continental 10 speed was introduced in 1960 and was upgrade for the 2nd half of the 1961 production with Huret equipment. The Varsity was upgraded to a 10 speed from an 8 speed at the time also but did not have Huret equipment until the 1962 model. So the facts are more than incorrect in the DISRAELI GEARS write up.

Quote:
In 1955 Schwinn introduced their first derailleur bicycle - the Schwinn Continental. It was not a success. However in 1960 they introduced the Schwinn Varsity model and kicked off the first in a series of booms in the sales of derailleur bicycles that reverberate to this day.

The first Schwinn Approved derailleurs were Huret Allvits. I have been told that the ‘bash guard’ on the outside of the second style of Allvit (introduced in 1961) may have been added at Schwinn’s request. Certainly the timing would match, as Schwinn moved their Varsity model from Simplex to the Huret Allvit for the 1961 model year. This was before the Schwinn Approved label was in use.

The Allvit branded derailleur came out in 1958. The Continental 10 speed was introduced in 1960 and was upgrade for the 2nd half of the 1961 production with Huret equipment. The Varsity was upgraded to a 10 speed from an 8 speed at the time also but did not have Huret equipment until the 1962 model. So the facts are more than incorrect in the DISRAELI GEARS write up.

Quote:
In 1955 Schwinn introduced their first derailleur bicycle - the Schwinn Continental. It was not a success. However in 1960 they introduced the Schwinn Varsity model and kicked off the first in a series of booms in the sales of derailleur bicycles that reverberate to this day.

The first Schwinn Approved derailleurs were Huret Allvits. I have been told that the ‘bash guard’ on the outside of the second style of Allvit (introduced in 1961) may have been added at Schwinn’s request. Certainly the timing would match, as Schwinn moved their Varsity model from Simplex to the Huret Allvit for the 1961 model year. This was before the Schwinn Approved label was in use.
I was going off of memory for the Huret's introduction, so it may be my fault instead of the website.
Pridmore and Heard also mentioned a derailleur Schwinn introduced in the mid-50's but I haven't seen any pictures.

I was going off of memory for the Huret's introduction, so it may be my fault instead of the website.
Pridmore and Heard also mentioned a derailleur Schwinn introduced in the mid-50's but I haven't seen any pictures.
What I quoted on the Allvit and what Schwinn offered was from the DISRAELI GEARS site. Not your fault.
One of the special models I know of in the 50's that was offered with a derailleur option was the Town & Country tandem. Over the years I've seen maybe two tandems equipped with a derailleur but don't remember what the make was and the option was specific for certain years. Here's the derailleur options for 1951 on the Continental Clubman and the World Traveler Clubman.
Even if DISRAELI GEARS was thinking about these models, they are still wrong.
There was a Conti Clubman with a derailleur posted here on the Cabe, and I think it was a Tourist version.

1651454336148.png

Back