When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody know what this was originally?

-
Here's the Continental Clubman with a derailleur. Looks like it's attached to a coaster brake arm but I really can't see all the details.

1651466755060.png

And here is another interesting piece.

1651466998036.png

1651467042400.png

Both are in this thread. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/53-schwinn-continental-9-sp.87453/

The coaster brake arm approach seems more stable, but less factory. The 2 clamp approach...not sure how easy it would be to spin the assembly on the chainstay...but it looks a little less backyard add-on than the brake arm. The brazed on bracket in the original post certainly looks more professional, but the updated derailleur doesn't.
All neat stuff, but still nothing to validate a factory braze on for a forward facing drop out frame with American bottom bracket.
Maybe find out the serial number/year of the bike for sale and then find similar year Paramount drivetrain assemblies??

Thanks for those pics all in one place @GTs58.
The bottom pic above is a definite add-on.
That's a push/pull Cyclo which was replaced by the offy single cable style sometime in the40's.
The the middle pic is the same
And the top pic of the green bike looks to be maybe a simplex using an add on bracket of the same style that is brazed on the OP subject bike.

Last edited:
I just don't think that braze-on is factory. I think it's a 1949-50 New World (based on the unusual, short-lived shifter) that was modified. The braze-on looks to have been done by someone who knew what they were doing (going as best as possible from the photos) aftermarket.

Probably not.
The cyclo instructions say whether brazing or clamped, the bracket must be at a 90 degree angle to the ground not the stays(paraphrasing)
I'd post it but I'm not at home on my laptop

It was offered aftermarket both ways.
That's not a period cyclo style bracket so just assuming...

Ok, here is the sheet for the push/pull Cyclo / Benelux.
One thing to note is the presence of a screen door derailleur return spring and bracket.
The single cable with a helical return spring on the slide shaft was the next iteration after push/pull. It used the same-ish brackets without cable stops until the 50's when it then went to a dropout/ axle hangar.
I have the push / pull style that came on an old bike and the 50's style in use on another bike. The 50's style has a dropout hangar and uses a Sturmey Archer style pull chain to move the derailleur back and forth.
So I guess we can rule out Cyclo as the OP's hangar bracket.
If I get time today, I'll look up the Simplex stuff, but I think that Huret "Tourist monoblok" bracketry pictured that Juvela posted earlier is most likely.

Last edited:
They're asking $200.00, but it's been up a while, so they may be open to offers. It's outside Pittsburgh, so if somebody local is interested, go for it. If I was already heading up that way I'd take a look, but that won't be anytime soon.

It's kind of borderline at $200 buy-in as a project when you consider additional money to clean, replace rotted wear items, probably re-paint, etc. True, you could probably get back your money parting it out, but buying-in as a project to have a hybrid geared bike, you're going to be in quite deep once you are done with the project.

The coaster brake arm approach seems more stable, but less factory. The 2 clamp approach...not sure how easy it would be to spin the assembly on the chainstay...but it looks a little less backyard add-on than the brake arm. The brazed on bracket in the original post certainly looks more professional, but the updated derailleur doesn't.
All neat stuff, but still nothing to validate a factory braze on for a forward facing drop out frame with American bottom bracket.
Maybe find out the serial number/year of the bike for sale and then find similar year Paramount drivetrain assemblies??

It's kind of borderline at $200 buy-in as a project when you consider additional money to clean, replace rotted wear items, probably re-paint, etc. True, you could probably get back your money parting it out, but buying-in as a project to have a hybrid geared bike, you're going to be in quite deep once you are done with the project.
I have to agree. If it's a Huret bracket, then I would want to find a "Touriste Monobloc" derailleur along with a Huret shift lever to get it "period correct", and unless you've got some stashed you're going to have to do some digging. And then even once it's finished, it's not like it's a Sting-Ray or a Phantom. I've got two projects with hybrid gears, a 1951 Humber with a Simplex and an early '60's Raleigh-built Western Flyer with a Cyclo/Benelux, and they were less than $200.00 combined. They're interesting bikes, but in the market they're more curiosities than anything else. On the other hand, if I was in the area, it wouldn't hurt to make an offer. The New Worlds are good bikes and I've got a day job to pay the bills.

Some pictures of the Humber in this thread, 2nd page:

And @3-speeder has a pretty Raleigh with the Cyclo/Benelux here:

Does anybody have pictures of the Huret?

I just don't think that braze-on is factory. I think it's a 1949-50 New World (based on the unusual, short-lived shifter) that was modified. The braze-on looks to have been done by someone who knew what they were doing (going as best as possible from the photos) aftermarket.
I took another look at the 1951 options list that @GTs58 posted. It states that the Benelux derailleur was available on the C16 and W19. If you look on the price list on the Waterford Bikes/Tom Findley catalog scans, those are the Continental Clubman and the World Traveler Clubman. I don't remember ever seeing a "World Traveler Clubman", so I'm not going to rule out this being factory just yet.
Now I'm getting an itch to go see this bike. Darn it Gary, I don't need any more projects!

1951 Schwinn Price List.JPG

Back