When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody know when in '83 the Chicago Schwinn plant closed?

-
A friend of mine picked up a Schwinn Continental serial number GU502008 (July 83) with a badge date of 3403 ( DEC 6th). The badge is gold colored, the bike is black and I think it had gold lettering. I don't have any pics of it.

A friend of mine picked up a Schwinn Continental serial number GU502008 (July 83) with a badge date of 3403 ( DEC 6th).

That is almost certainly a Murray model, built by Murray for Schwinn in Lawrenceburg TN. Murray continued building the Continental, Varsity and a few other EF models for Schwinn in mid-'83 through '85. You can tell the Murray built frames by inspecting the bottom bracket area, which lacks the seam on the bottom of the housing as well as the slag rings on the chainstays.

Resurecting old thread

I found an old sidewinder today for $10; I'm interested in it for the rims for another project so the price was OK.

My frame dates to Nov. of 1982, and the tag number 0873 probably means march 28 of 1983. A few places on the intertubes suggest an '83 Sidewinder was spec'd with low-end parts, while the Sierra got higher-level stuff. My frame clearly says "Sidewinder" but I found the bike with all Sierra-spec parts. In my mind that's a little like finding a stamp printed with the wrong ink color....it happens, but its a mistake that usually doesnt leave the factory.

Unfortunately, the bike has spend some time outside in the weather and has apparently fell victim to errant deck or siding stain splatters so its not a good example for conservation. As a parts donor it will be fine.

Back