When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody seen a Thor front axle?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I now have both the racing and the standard rear hubs as seen in the catalog illustration above, still haven't seen a front hub to go along with the rears.......Even an image of one!!

I now have both the racing and the standard rear hubs as seen in the catalog illustration above, still haven't seen a front hub to go along with the rears.......Even an image of one!!

Attached are some pics of some hubs that I have. The rear is a 36 spoke NOS Thor rear bicycle hub, dated 1902. The front hub I picked up later, because it has the same Thor washers and axle nuts. Even the ends of the axle are curved and plated in the same fashion as the rear hub. It's 32 spoke, with no date and no markings. I'm thinking it's a Thor front hub.

DSCN1635.JPG

DSCN1636.JPG

DSCN1637.JPG

DSCN1638.JPG

DSCN1639.JPG

DSCN1640.JPG

A guy tried selling me this wheel set stating that they were Thor hubs. I think I remember him saying that there wasn't any stamping.

You can see the front hub in these pics at different angles. The only 2 pics he sent me. I bought them and next day I went to send the money
---- then he changed his mind! I even sold something that was a "one of one" in order to get them. I would have never sold the piece if I knew he was going to do that to me. I'll only say he's in Connecticut.

Image 1.jpg
Image.jpg

An interesting thing about the Thor hub I sold you was the tube inside it. It's the only hub I've ever seen made this way. You can see the same tube used in the axels shown in the adv. It held the bearings in the race.

Yes Sam, the racing version I have has the same tube.

Earl, that rear is beautiful, I didn't realize Thor had coasters in'02, I thought they were a little behind. I'd say your method of determining it's a Thor may be as accurate as you can get on the fronts, haven't seen or heard of a marked front hub yet.

Last edited:
The oil that was piped into the hub went directly
into that tube. The tube terminated at the left and
right bearing placements. Look closely at the illus-
tration in ENTRY 5 ... Thor Hubs ... of this thread.

No doubt the bearings got a decent bathing of oil
as the machine canted left and right during activity.

Of course ... no oil in the tube meant that eventually
those bearings would be thirsty.

To me, the beauty of the Thor Hub was in that particular
design of oil distribution.

......... patric

Would love to see it Chris!

Patric, neither of my rear hubs has oil ports, how would the tube have helped? Any oil in the body of the hub would have had the same distribution capabilities.

Would love to see it Chris!

Patric, neither of my rear hubs has oil ports, how would the tube have helped? Any oil in the body of the hub would have had the same distribution capabilities.
I will get some photos posted by tomorrow evening. Also, any help identification of the badge-less bike would be greatly appreciated.

Back