When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyclues on what this old thing could be?

-
G

gravediggerjason

Hello i am really new here just had a fellow at Raatrodbikes.com send me here to see if you all could help me out

bought this old bike at a yard sale last year just broke it out to tink and start fixxing it up to give to my father .. ran accross the serial number on the bottom bracket V-4667 but other then a Morrow rear hub i havent got a clue to what it could be ... if anyone is willing to help me out i would be greatful

dadsbike2-1.jpg

dadssprocket-1.jpg

missingheadbadge-1.jpg

dadsbike-1.jpg

thanks hope i am not asking to much .. i know i am a Noobie here ... thanks jason

I had a mid 30s Hawthorne that looked similar. the chainring is going to be your biggest clue. find someone who can identify it and you'll be in.
Scott:cool:

I have a Prewar Hawthorne and the painted darts on the frame look just like the ones on your bike.

Regardless,

Those newer fender braces are too short. Call Memory Lane or someone who sells vintage bike parts and try to find the right flat braces for that bike. Along with a hanging tank that would be a nice rider!

That appears to be an H.P. Snyder built bicycle. Snyder built all of the bikes distributed by D.P. Harris, like Rollfast, Yale, Peerless, Black Beauty, Sam-Sco, Cadet, Winchester, Overland, Gold Medal, and a whole lot more. The hollow darts are the real give away, but the chain ring appears to indicate Mead. Usually there were several differences that seperated these bikes, other than the head badge. Usually these differences were in the accessories, like the head or tail light, maybe the rear carrier, and paint colors, and chain ring as well.
This bike appears to be a 34-35 Snyder built. Really a shame that head badge is missing, but if you had a decent enough outline left, and took a good close up photo of it, you may have some luck down the line. Might even want to approach badge collectors if the outline is good enough they may be able to identify it for you. From what I can see, the outline does appear consistent with a Mead badge.
Mead bicycles were manufactured by Westfield and Schwinn among others, so it would make sense that they would have commissioned Snyder to build some bikes at some point.
I don't believe that this bike was ever equipped with a tank as the top and bottom tubes are closer togethor than what you see on tanked motorbikes. Both tubes are attached to the steer tube, while there is no space between the two where they meet at the seat tube.

Greg

Last edited:
Back