When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever broken their frame?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Moseph

Look Ma, No Hands!
The frame of my 1969 Typhoon snapped today, has anyone ever had this happen before?
20170614_152229.jpg

I made a mountain bike out of a 30s ballooner frame. After about ten years abuse, and one too many jumps the frame let go at the bottom bracket. Was still able to ride it about two miles to get back to my truck, but after that it was junk.

First one I ever seen break there. How high/long was the jump? V/r Shawn

No jumping with this bike, although I did have it off road a little about 3 months ago.

I have had this bike for about 6 years now and have been riding it regularly over the last 4 years, in which I've accumulated over 4000 miles on it. I've broken just about everything on it before this and used to push it really hard. A couple of times on my 3.5 mile commute to work my average speed was about 16 or 17 mph. I've slowed it down the last 3 years but I still ride it all the time. I do stand up quite a bit while riding and weigh about 265 lbs or so so I'm sure that doesn't help.

I'm no metallurgist but given the circumstances you describe I'm sure something had to cut loose sooner or later! Luckily those frames are fairly common so hopefully you can just replace it and keep rolling. V/r Shawn

Any plans for the broken frame once you strip it down? Wall hanger in the man cave?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah when it happened I figured I had broken a pedal or the crank again. I was shocked when I saw it was broke where it was, I figured it would break near the bottom bracket if it was ever going to happen. I'll definitely keep the frame to hang on a wall, I don't think I could get rid of it after all I have been through on it.

Back