When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have any cool old sleds?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Very detailed and very heavy! Has a foot brake and used to have a warning bell. You would definitely want to get out of the way if this thing was heading at you!

20201121_153254.jpg

20201121_153302.jpg

20201121_153310.jpg

20201121_153314.jpg

20201121_153340.jpg

20201121_153430.jpg

20201121_153455.jpg

Freqman,

In the Deep South, you didn't get snow, and you didn't need any snow to ride what we in the south called a flexi-flyer.
Technically it was a FLEXIBLE FLYER Flexi-Racer, which for those who have never seen or heard of a Wheeled Flexible Flyer , a sled with narrow small wheels instead of blade runners.

It was probably the most dangerous toy, yet among the most exciting and fun, if you didn't get hurt badly enough to need to go to the E.R..

GOOGLE: Flexible Flyer Flexi-Racer to see pictures

Here is what we all did.
You would oil the wheels with a small oiler filled with automotive motor oil.
You would haul ass down any paved road with even the slightest hill.
Ideally, you wanted a road that didn't have too much of a hill or it might be deadly.
You rode it like just like a snow sled but the difference is if you fell off or turned it over, your body was pounded and cheese grated by the asphalt pavement.

There was no real way to stop it, you could only slow it with the front control that would bite into the front wheel tread if you wanted to slow it.
My guess is it was sold from the 1940's through the mid Sixties, when Lawyers for the company probably advised against continuing manufacturing the Flexi-Racer.
It was super popular in the Deep South. They sold a helluva lot of them.

There was a friend of mine, who's dad was a surgeon, who wasn't entirely against the Flexi-Racer, because he bought one for a Christmas present for one of his sons, but Dr. Boudon required that the Flexi be physically locked up with a massive chain and a keyed padlock, so his younger children would not be able to use the Flexi.
It required some ability to think and be risk averse enough not to ride it on such a slope where you'd be guaranteed to be hurt.
It was a blast but just the memory of riding the flexi, does bring on the memory of pain and scrapes the lasted about two weeks.
I played defensive back and wide receiver in high school, and as banged up as I got catching passes and returning kicks in football, not even the very sore ribs from being hit in a football game, compared to the hurt from wiping out on a Flexi on a paved asphalt road. I was as stupid as everyone else. In football, I had a suspension helmet, with facemask, chinstrap, shoulder pads, football pants with some padding, but on the Flexi, it was nothing but shorts, a tee-shirt, and tennis shoes during the warm/hot months and maybe a jacket, jeans, tennis shoes and gloves during the winter.
It was a blast.
The Flexible Flyer Flexi-Racer was something that you'd never ever see marketed ever again.
A helluva lot of fun but beyond dangerous.

Last edited:
Back