When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here own a Miami / Flying Merkel Bicycle?

-
Absolutely stunning bike. Question: is that rear hub an armless Musselman?

Yes it is, with an oversize sprocket. I wonder how late this hub was used? I've seen it on early 1900's stuff, but not on something from the 20's before.

I need a 20, 22, or 24 tooth - 1/2 " rear sprocket for this hub.
IMG_1621-1.jpg

Are you planning on using that beautiful Morrow hub on your Merkel? Isn't it a lot older than the bike? I think that if it were to have a Morrow, that it should have the one with the oval brass badge on the brake arm.

I've been thinking that the correct crankset for my 1918?-1923? Racycle is like the one on Dave's Merkel, but with an R in the sprocket. But now after seeing Dave's bottom bracket shell and how it is so much longer on the drive side, I'm puzzled. Does anyone know what the crank and sprocket should be like on my bike? Does anyone have a Racycle catalog from 1918 or later?
sac_racycle_12-1.jpg

More photos of my bike can be seen here
http://www.fattiretrading.com/1918_racycle.html
Thanks,
Chris

Some detail shots of things before I put it back together....

DAVE ... what a great machine !! Unusual to see a Merkel with darts on the frame ... as well as removable
truss-rods ..... but the moneyshot is not just the new-style chainring, with the multiple-F feature ... checkout
how the teeth are directly over the bearing-area ... very nice, that.

If you get a chance .. can you pul-eeeze try to get a tiny feeler of sorts behind the badge via that portal that
appears in this foto of yours. Doood .. i gots to know if the badge is the type that has a stamped-reveal in the back
(like H-D) ... or if the badge is the smooth variety, on the backside, that Miami also used to use.

Your Flying Merkel represents my first experience with the marque past 1917.

Thank you, Dave ............. patric

DRS_20140414-_DSC3369.jpg

DRS_20140414-_DSC3358  large.jpg

=================================================================================================
=================================================================================================

Last edited:
"Doood .. i gots to know if the badge is the type that has a stamped-reveal in the back
(like H-D) ... or if the badge is the smooth variety, on the backside, that Miami also used to use"

Patric, the badge is stamped, like a HD badge. I did as you asked, and yep, not a smooth thick casting. Also sounds tinny and hollow when I tap on it.

Patric, the badge is stamped, like a HD badge. I did as you asked, and yep, not a smooth thick casting. Also sounds tinny and hollow when I tap on it.

Thank you for that quick response Dave !!

I added one of your pics to my previous entry ... i.e., ring-teeth over bearing surface ......

Damn, DAVE .... i'm really excited for you ..... Good Form on this acquirement !!!

........... patric

===================================================================
===================================================================

Thanks Patric, yes I agree, the bearing to chainring alignment is a pretty cool design. Someone, I think Fordsnake, posted a scan from the 1921 brochure illustrating the crankset. Did you notice the bearing cups with clearance notches machined into them, to make it possible to remove the crank with them installed? That extra wide crank hanger would be a bugger otherwise!

Back