When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here own a Miami / Flying Merkel Bicycle?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
You ok Brian?

Obi-Wan-Schwinnobi ... i do believe Bri has hit upon something here.

He's usin' Fly'n' Merkel as an expletive. For a while he was callin' some of us North
American Spaghetti Swirlers ... or, in my case .. he called me a Willie Nelson Woo Woo
in a PM once ... but said he meant it in a good way.

I don't think Bri is fascinated with increasing his tally, of late. Although he did suggest
that one CABEr was a Tally-Whacker with little regard for bicycles that are still in
one piece. Methinks he is somewhat disappointed with the whole notion of parting out.

........... patric

Obi-Wan ... am typing in Whisper-Mode, now ...... Once on the fone .. Bri called me a Fart Smeller ....
then rapidly tried to play it off by changing it out ... calling me a Smart Feller.

=================================
=================================

Last edited:
Miami Built New England Archbar

Some more pics of said bike, sorry about close up shot. Now the $6000 question,,,, to restore or not? The bike was repainted when I got a few years ago. I brought it down to bare metal and discovered some bondo on one of the stays so I removed and filled it in with wire weld and ground it smooth. No harm done and should provide for a confident ride. I'm not much for restored bikes and prefer an original look. I value your opinion on these matters Patric. What do you think? Any
New England archbar 001.jpg
New England archbar 002.jpg
New England archbar 003.jpg
New England archbar 004.jpg
Miami built archbar 003.jpg
one?

I would coat it with something be it paint or clear or a metal protectant.

I think I'd do it up! At this point, the only original finish you'd be retaining is the nickel (which you could leave as is, but might look funny with the shiny new paint)

There's always the distresstoration option which is a bit fake in my opinion.

Some more pics of said bike, sorry about close up shot. Now the $6000 question,,,, to restore or not? The bike was repainted when I got a few years ago. I brought it down to bare metal and discovered some bondo on one of the stays so I removed and filled it in with wire weld and ground it smooth. No harm done and should provide for a confident ride. I'm not much for restored bikes and prefer an original look. I value your opinion on these matters Patric. What do you think? Anyone?

ACE ... Hop back to PAGE 18 .. Entry #172 of this thread. Very interesting.

Back to your questions, now. Look, you have an almost-clean canvas.

Lose the New England badge and you will have a completely-clean canvas.

Please consider doing this as a Miami ......

Not a Racycle, as these take special cranksets. Not a Hudson as these take
D. & J. cranksets (mostly). Not a Merkel, as these take specific chainrings.

Let me say that I do agree with Krautwaggen to a point ... a dis-restoration option
"is a bit fake" ... but no more fake than the application of new paint in correct colors
... as a restoration.

The only thing that is not fake is that which is original.

Personally, I can see a dis-restoration in the case of your Miami ... you could use your
brightwork as-is. And, ace, after speaking with you at MLC in the Spring ... i remember
how much you like 'character' in a bicycle. Me, too.

BREATHE DEEP ...

Now let's consider that archbar frame. The earliest Miami-Built Archbar Frame I have
seen is from a late 1914 article showing a 1915 Miami model ... below.

The 1915 Model Archbar has a small, visible, bridge between the top-bar and the archbar.

I do not know if Miami was using the Hercules Head, in 1915 (like on your machine) ... my thoughts
are that they were not.

But please do not trust my thoughts. Do some research. This includes Miami badge options
... color .. and chainring options for a Miami ... that will fit your particular frame.

Right now you are running a 26-T, Four-Circle. Other 26-T ring designs were also used.

It's possible you could run a 28-T or 30-T in your frame. Do some research.

...... patric

1914 miami  copy.jpg

imageidnyp33433069061806seq70width680-1  1918 line.jpg
imageidnyp33433069061806seq71width680-1  1918 line.jpg

imageidnyp33433069061848seq491width1020-1%20%201919%20line.jpg

Note Differences In Chainring Design On A 1915 Miami Bulldog.

1915  Miami Bull Dog ... Tall Frame  smaller foto.jpg

1915-Miami-Bulldog-catalog-  001.jpg

1915 miami bulldog.jpg

9_1916_Meridith_Merkel&henderson  COPY.jpg

=====================================
=====================================

Last edited:
Awesome info. Love the lit. pics. I'll enjoy it as is for now and will post pics when i decide which way to go. Thanks for all your help Patric and others!

Lawrence, I'm convinced that you were previously employed in the adult entertainment industry as you're suuuuuch a tease......

Back