When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here own a Miami / Flying Merkel Bicycle?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Wha ??? .................... I am so C-O-R-N-F-U-Z-E-D

DAVIS year of manuf. stampings.jpg
Davis-Built ARROW  dave the wave   cabe copy.jpg
Davis-Built ARROW bottom == dave the wave  cabe copy.jpg

??????????
Miami-Built ARROW    bottom numbers  cabe copy.jpg
Miami-Built ARROW dave the wave  cabe copy.jpg
??????????

.............................. patric

Post Script "..............(?) ... (!!!)"

fattommy's MIAMI Motorbike ............

fattomy ... your Miami-Built Motorbike looks to be identical in manufacture to the 1917 Flying Merkel
catalog-illustration posted by Carlton in entry #48 of this thread !!! Very, very INTERESTING !!!

That STAR badge Is The Cherry Bomb !!! Wow-Wee-WOW-WOW !!! I wish I could un-see dat thing !!!

I Won't Be Able To Sleep For Days !!! ..... AARRRGH !!!

........... patric

Last edited:
Funny Patric...looks like you got a Maynard Dixon thing going on there? Dixon was married to Dorothea Lange and I worked with their son for several years.

Carlton, did you work with Daniel Rhodes Dixon or John Eaglefeather Dixon?

Last edited:
Aeroplane 1912 ...Cicero Field, Illinois ... 1912

While doing some research on the offspring of Maynard Dixon and his spouse, Dorothea Lange .. those being
Daniel Rhodes Dixon and John Eaglefeather Dixon ... I ran into some fotos of privately-owned ... circa 1912
aerocraft that flew at Cicero Field in Illinois. Being that my city .. Fairborn .. is separated from Wright Patterson
Air Force Base AND Huffman Prairie (utilized by the Wrights 1904-1916) ... by the thickness of a chain-link fence
... it is natural for this typist and former-wingwalker to have a fascination with early, heavier-than-air flight.

I am posting a few of these early aerocraft .. with the hopes that the reader might reflect on motorcycle / bicycle
design circa 1912 in comparison AND contrast with aeroplanes of the day.

Look ... right now .. I have activated the 'whisper mode' on this keyboard. I do like to brag ... but bragging is
rarely in good form. We all know this. Forgive me .. just this once ---- Everytime I peep my 1912 Flying Merkel
Bicycle .. I can never get rid of "Aeroplane Visions 1912" ... and my mind begins to tingle ... I start to sense far-
away gasoline-engine exhaust notes around me .. and can smell oily-exhaust in the air. And as I went to open
foto number 5 ... I heard a bell ring.

................. patric

poster475x324.jpg
smith500x260.jpg
romme400x679  m.jpg
blaney426x250.jpg
dayiac450x393.jpg
brodie500x325.jpg
cic1post250x390.jpg

O-kay - O-kay .... I lied about being a former-wingwalker ......

While doing some research on the offspring of Maynard Dixon and his spouse, Dorothea Lange .. those being
Daniel Rhodes Dixon and John Eaglefeather Dixon ... I ran into some fotos of privately-owned ... circa 1912
aerocraft that flew at Cicero Field in Illinois. Being that my city .. Fairborn .. is separated from Wright Patterson
Air Force Base AND Huffman Prairie (utilized by the Wrights 1904-1916) ... by the thickness of a chain-link fence
... it is natural for this typist and former-wingwalker to have a fascination with early, heavier-than-air flight.

I am posting a few of these early aerocraft .. with the hopes that the reader might reflect on motorcycle / bicycle
design circa 1912 in comparison AND contrast with aeroplanes of the day.

Look ... right now .. I have activated the 'whisper mode' on this keyboard. I do like to brag ... but bragging is
rarely in good form. We all know this. Forgive me .. just this once ---- Everytime I peep my 1912 Flying Merkel
Bicycle .. I can never get rid of "Aeroplane Visions 1912" ... and my mind begins to tingle ... I start to sense far-
away gasoline-engine exhaust notes around me .. and can smell oily-exhaust in the air. And as I went to open
foto number 5 ... I heard a bell ring.

................. patric

View attachment 120320View attachment 120321View attachment 120322View attachment 120323View attachment 120324View attachment 120325View attachment 120326

O-kay - O-kay .... I lied about being a former-wingwalker ......

................. patric

Rummaging in an old trunk, I found these...

28a5heu-1.jpg
2whfjfb-1.jpg
16awb6f-1.jpg

14xh4zr-1.jpg
2hdtrt5-1.jpg

These "home-made" images of days from long ago .

wjj1uqpng-1.jpg
2mhiutz-1.jpg

...always keep the visions active !

Last edited:
HEY TO 2jakes ... thank you for posting some of your old rummagings !!!

Those images of FAMILY from days gone by are priceless !!!

..... Thank you .................. patric

attachment.php

Does anyone know the details of when Westfield bought out the Miami Cycle Mfg? Did they close the Middletown plant? or did they operate as a Westfield branch, taking on the clients of Miami at the time.

Back