When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here own a Miami / Flying Merkel Bicycle?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
This kinda seems to answer another question about when the badge was introduced. If this is, in fact, a 1919 model then it appears 1920 is the first year for the badge. V/r Shawn

For posterity; the Flying Merkel that sold a couple weeks ago. An amazing completely unmolested machine. Beautiful original paint, decal badge, and Vitalic tires. Not mine so I can’t answer any questions about it. Congratulations to the new caretaker! It has landed with a most honorable gentleman. I hope to see this in person someday soon.

View attachment 1456717

View attachment 1456718

View attachment 1456719

View attachment 1456720

View attachment 1456721

View attachment 1456722

View attachment 1456723

View attachment 1456724
Did the Merkels come in other colors than orange and this olive drab green shown above?

Did the Merkels come in other colors than orange and this olive drab green shown above?

1628276124634.png

"Enameled in either black, blue ,red, orange or khaki".

Sprocket seems not Miami but I would guess yours may be a Shelby-built Grady NE-badged using a Davis frame from their remaining inventory post-purchase by Shelby. Boy that's a guess for sure. Not sure if Miami supplied them but for sure Shelby did. Can we see the whole bike, fork and the serial number on the BB?
The examples and evidence that Shelby built some of the Grady & Co contracted bikes in the teens through the early 30's?..Yours may be one close to the time when Shelby bought out Davis in 1924/5?

Last edited:
Back