When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here own a Miami / Flying Merkel Bicycle?

-
Acquired this speciman in the late 1990's ... earliest example known ... Miami Cycle Manuf. Co.
acquired The Light Manuf. Co. and began producing the Flying Merkel Motorcycle in 1911.

.............. patric

Patric...very cool bike! I've spent the last few days studying this rare bike. Is it possible this is a Merkel built bike and not a Miami Cycle build? It doesn't have the Miami signature drop outs and the split bottom bracket. Yet it replicates the Flying Merkel motorcycle.

Joseph Merkel was among the most innovative of the pioneer motorcycle designers developing a patented spring front fork and the monoshock rear suspension, and your bike certainly has those winning characteristics; the rear mono spring, the sandwich bottom spring, the front spring actioned fork, plus that unique seat post...these all replicate the Merkel motorcycle!

"Miami Cycle Mfg. Co. began producing the Flying Merkel Motorcycle in 1911"

My research differs:

1900 Joseph Merkel started in the bicycle business manufacturing bicycle parts.

1901 Merkel began attaching small motors to the bicycles and the Merkel Motorcycle was born.

1902 Merkel set-up shop producing single cylinder motorcycles.

1905 Merkel engaged in competition and produced several racing machines.

1909 The company was purchased by the Light Manufacturing Company and moved to Pottstown Pennsylvania, producing machines with the "Merkel Light" and subsequently "The Flying Merkel".

1911 The Miami Cycle Manufacturing Company purchased Merkel, and transferred all operations to its Middletown, Ohio headquarters and continued building the Flying Merkel motorcycles and bicycles

Last edited:
Miami built motorcycles under their name until 1909. In 1909 they bought the Merkel-Light Motor Co. and produced The Flying Merkel Motorcycle Through 1913.

Respectfully I disagree, here's documented evidence that supports my suggested dates.

1908 –Joseph Merkel was manufacturing motorcycles.

ScreenShot20131023at94122PMpng-1.jpg

1909 – Light Motorcycle partnered with the Merkel Company
ScreenShot20131023at93437PMpng-1.jpg

1910 – The company is still under the name Merkel-Light Motor Co.
ScreenShot20131023at95327PMpng-1.jpg

1911 – Note the name hasn't changed, not until September!
ScreenShot20131023at101551PMpng-1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for those swell comments. Carlton, the bicycle DOES have the split bottom bracket .. none of
the fotos reveal the hardware. There is enough info remaining on the headtube decal to indicate the bicycle
is a Miami-Built Merkel. Also .. there is a brass, Model Tag above the decal .. can't remember the model number.
Miami Cycle rides often .. but not always .. have threaded chain-adjusters as part of their construction ... AND ...
Miami Cycle Rides often .. but not always .. have a split bottom bracket.

Here are a few more pics from the Cabe .. a few have been leaned-on with Paint.Net ... Scott Mc snapped the pics
when he visited my home a half-dozen years ago. Also, the Cabe Archives has this ride listed as a 1913 .. in reality
it is a 1912 Model.

Carlton .. thank you for all of the literature you posted .. Good Stuff !!!!!!

................ patric

Post Script ... The SHORT rear fender is made that way ... the port and starboard, edge under-bends are mitered at 45 degrees .. top and bottom.
An interesting footnote .. when I picked up the bicycle, (delivered to a Perrysburg, Ohio - MLC Spring Swap Meet in the late 1990's) .. I found an exact-
replacement, NOS, rear fender for this ride ... on the "fender-boneyard-shelf" inside MLC. The newer-fender is intended to replace the original that had
acquired a bunch of welds in the area between the fender bridges .. sometime during it's lifetime. During the exact moment I spotted that NOS fender ..
a big-bosom lady with a Dutch accent informed me I had a square of toilet-paper sticking to my shoe .. and I heard a bell ring.

1912-Flying-Merkel-PC-2 copy.jpg
1912-Flying-Merkel-PC-5.jpg
1912-Flying-Merkel-PC-6.jpg
1912-Flying-Merkel-PC-4.jpg

Last edited:
Back