When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone here own a Miami / Flying Merkel Bicycle?

-
There should probably be a thread for other Miami bikes. While they have the same DNA they aren't Flying Merkels! V/r Shawn

committing this image to a somewhat feeble memory ...

Miami-Built cutout hudson.jpg

Trying to finish up the FM monograph. I am of the opinion that the Five Spoke ring (26T 1" or 60T 1/2") was NOT used on any FM bikes. The only place you see this ring is 1918/19 and not on any bike labeled as a FM. Anyone have evidence to the contrary? V/r Shawn

The use of the 5-spoke 60T, 1/2'' pitch goes back to
1915 with the Miami Bulldog. The fotos below show
three different rings used on the same model for

The same ring was first used in 1918/1919 with the
F-M ... as per the advertising pages you include with
your statement.

I know of no FM catalogs from those years ... and am
unable to support my statement.

Both Carlton and I believe that ring was used in '18 and
'19 ... possibly into very early 1920 ... on the F-M.

1915 miami bulldog.jpg

1915-Miami-Bulldog-catalog-.jpg

1915  Miami Bull Dog ... Tall Frame.jpg

This 1915, all original Miami Tallframe Bulldog
is no longer in my stable. It resides elsewhere where it can continue to be loved.
The new owner made me an offer I could not refuse.

Last edited:
Patric the problem I have with the 1918/1919 literature shown in the thread is that the bike both you and Carlton refer to as a 1918 is simply labeled "Motorbike" unlike some of the other illustrations that call out the brand e.g. Flying Merkel. I see this ring in none of the FM catalogs. Not saying it didn't happen just don't see any evidence of it. If we make this leap then any chain ring used by Miami could be fair game for a FM. V/r Shawn

Patric the problem I have with the 1918/1919 literature shown in the thread is that the bike both you and Carlton refer to as a 1918 is simply labeled "Motorbike" unlike some of the other illustrations that call out the brand e.g. Flying Merkel. I see this ring in none of the FM catalogs. Not saying it didn't happen just don't see any evidence of it. If we make this leap then any chain ring used by Miami could be fair game for a FM. V/r Shawn

Shawn ... thank you for your clarification.

Totally see your point, and am agreeing with you.
Out of respect to the reader, need to add that I
added words (they show up in RED) to those same
ads.

Am at a loss for words .. but only temporarily.

Don't know if an accurate truth will ever be revealed,
in any catalog .. advertising .. or illustration provided
by Miami Cycle in 1918 and 1919 --- but am keenly-
aware that the knowledge we have (now) .. did not exist
for us, not that long ago.

I continue to walk having hope that more information
will be revealed to us -- and I remind myself that much
more research is indicated.

....... patric

Patric I agree that until we see the 'missing link' catalogs, literature, or bikes there will be many gaps and unknowns. I'm getting close to a final draft and have been dedicating a couple of hours each night to this endeavor. The one thing I am missing is a picture of a 60T "cloverleaf cutout" chain ring. I am not talking the D&J ring with the four attaching bolts (shown below)
D&J Half Inch Cloverleaf.png

but a 60T 1/2" pitch ring like this
image miami cutout.jpg

Does one exist or is the D&J the only 60T "cloverleaf cutout" ring? V/r Shawn

Patric I agree that until we see the 'missing link' catalogs, literature, or bikes there will be many gaps and unknowns. I'm getting close to a final draft and have been dedicating a couple of hours each night to this endeavor. The one thing I am missing is a picture of a 60T "cloverleaf cutout" chain ring. I am not talking the D&J ring with the four attaching bolts (shown below)
View attachment 481656

but a 60T 1/2" pitch ring like this
View attachment 481657

Does one exist or is the D&J the only 60T "cloverleaf cutout" ring? V/r Shawn

Shawn ... I don't believe a 60T, ''cloverleaf cutout'' was ever available.
That ''cloverleaf cutout'' ring has been presented by Miami Cycle as
a 1''-inch pitch only. Could be wrong .....

Tooth count would be 22T ... 24T ... 26T and 28T.

...... patric

fm  1916.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Patric--that's the conclusion I was reaching--I think I just heard the bell ring! Be looking for this to come your way soon.... V/r Shawn

Back