When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone know what this schwinn is ?

-

nick tures

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
any one know what this is ? or year ?

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

Early post war B model Schwinn... could have had a tank, and built in fender lite, rear carrier...
or been a plain jane.
Looks like the early "short" frame geometry...tough to find the rear fender that would fit that one...
value--- 100ish range for rough frame n parts

tooooo much information?

Early post war B model Schwinn... could have had a tank, and built in fender lite, rear carrier...
or been a plain jane.
Looks like the early "short" frame geometry...tough to find the rear fender that would fit that one...
value--- 100ish range for rough frame n parts

tooooo much information?

Early “short” frame geometry ?!?

Please don’t make more rabbit [emoji235] holes to dive into ! Definitely too much information.

Early “short” frame geometry ?!?

Please don’t make more rabbit [emoji235] holes to dive into ! Definitely too much information.

really? helping the guy out. From that pic, looks like the early post war frame
.... If he decided to build or restore that frame set...he should knowwwww
that the rear fender is a difficult part to source or locate. useful information really...
maybe a later B model frame would make the build easier...
those early post war rear fenders are very scarce.

Short frame geometry? My curiosity is peaked though I do love the small details. Also own one about like that great riding bike.

Schwinn early postwar, just as bobcycles said. I learn something new all the time. I guessed the numbers started with "A" when they went to the forward facing dropouts after the war. I guessed that by estimating how many bikes were built and backing up the letters from the 1948-1952 known numbers. That idea works well if they started with "A" and progressed. But yours , being a "K", didn't fit that sequence. The serial number lookup looks at it as if the serial number is on the dropout, that's why it incorrectly says 1953. My frame is also a "K" but the number is on the dropout, so it's a 53.
I checked the paint schemes from 46 to 52. Your paint matched up with the 1946 illustrations I found, different from the later ones. Now I need to learn more about the frames. I thought they were all identical cantilever frames, except for the later middleweight and also the king size frames of the 60's.

From the 46 catalog: B-507 Autocycle Tourist
1585377993340.png

Schwinn early postwar, just as bobcycles said. I learn something new all the time. I guessed the numbers started with "A" when they went to the forward facing dropouts after the war. I guessed that by estimating how many bikes were built and backing up the letters from the 1948-1952 known numbers. That idea works well if they started with "A" and progressed. But yours , being a "K", didn't fit that sequence. The serial number lookup looks at it as if the serial number is on the dropout, that's why it incorrectly says 1953. My frame is also a "K" but the number is on the dropout, so it's a 53.
I checked the paint schemes from 46 to 52. Your paint matched up with the 1946 illustrations I found, different from the later ones. Now I need to learn more about the frames. I thought they were all identical cantilever frames, except for the later middleweight and also the king size frames of the 60's.

From the 46 catalog: B-507 Autocycle Tourist
View attachment 1162737

The J serials were from 1942-43 and the K series started during the war as seen on the war time New Worlds. Schwinn was EF frames during the war and from the J serial samples this is when head tubes were EF and the top and down tubes were EF to the head tube along with the seat tube being EF to the BB shell. The OP's frame IMO would be a very early post war or very late war time, 1945?

Last edited:
Sounds good to me. I'm jealous because that bike has a good bit of original paint. Every 40's bike I've had has been stripped of all original paint.

What's EF?

really? helping the guy out. From that pic, looks like the early post war frame
.... If he decided to build or restore that frame set...he should knowwwww
that the rear fender is a difficult part to source or locate. useful information really...
maybe a later B model frame would make the build easier...
those early post war rear fenders are very scarce.

Really, face palm [emoji2356]

Your humor and sarcasm radar

is on the blink. No more rabbit [emoji195]

holes.

Back