When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone use Sturmey Archer 3 speed drum brakes on their bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
No experience with the Sturmey Archer type expander brake hubs, but my experience with the Schwinn type has been positive.
They will not lock up and skid the wheel, which may be a good thing, depending on how you like to stop your bike.
I call them, the original anti lock brake.
So, just like your car, the brakes can feel spongy when you grab a hand full.
But, you will decelerate, and avoid a collision. Maybe? Lol!
If you run a rear expander brake hub, then you should absolutely run a front expander brake hub.
Together, they provide the balance needed to stop the bike.
Most of your effective braking comes from the front brake.
A bike without a front brake is a crap shoot at best.
I like the clean looking, mechanical aspect of the expander brake hubs, but still would advise the caliper rim type brake, if stopping power is most important.
The performance of the expander brake may not be to most people’s liking, who have been used to the locking capability of a good rim brake set up.
New shoes will dramatically increase the performance of the expander type brake, but unfortunately, replacement parts are getting harder to come by.

brakes are more important than cool parts. the old 50's "Schwinn Built" chrome steel brakes are pretty cool. I have them on my Traveler, but no pads.. but they feel like a good brake when you squeeze the lever. I assume they will give trouble free braking.

Definitely.
The caliper brake is by far, the best bicycle brake set up devised to date.
I know, the disc brake guys will argue that point, but it’s hard to beat the performance and simplicity of the caliper/rim brake.

Bike with the brakes is only 40 bucks now.

1634518267465.png

I’m putting one on my twin bar. I was told it’s off a 69 schwinn. I have a nd drum for the front so I wanted to stay with the same style brake. Hopefully it’s a good idea hehe

Back