When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Apple Krate-Real?

-

rusty.kirkpatrick

I live for the CABE
Just noticed this Krate on Letgo, it's about 30 minutes from me. Looking for opinions on originality. Not versed in musclebikes too much. For future reference, what's the best way to tell repop from real? Thanks.
ef7a6323917a8a95b4f2f5ae2b3c60f2.jpg

b89cc5d9f0ba586a1dbad0bb1bed086b.jpg

cf067c5dccedf36d445936411673677a.jpg

Parts look good, yet it may be a repaint, paint almost looks too good, check closely, it should have a silver metallic undercoat to the red, yet also a red oxide primer base coat under that. The chipping around the seat post looks legit and could be revealing the silver metallic coat or the more common gray primer modern day painters use. Looks like a repop rear slick, check the bead, it will have a made in taiwan there if reproduction. Also its missing a couple of original cable clamps, seat has the shape of a reproduction, and rear S-2 rim looks like the 1971 style single knurl. This could be an assembly of various years Krate parts.

Parts look good, yet it may be a repaint, paint almost looks too good, check closely, it should have a silver metallic undercoat to the red, yet also a red oxide primer base coat under that. The chipping around the seat post looks legit and could be revealing the silver metallic coat or the more common gray primer modern day painters use. Looks like a repop rear slick, check the bead, it will have a made in taiwan there if reproduction. Also its missing a couple of original cable clamps, seat has the shape of a reproduction, and rear S-2 rim looks like the 1971 style single knurl. This could be an assembly of various years Krate parts.
Thank you man, exactly what I wanted to know. Appreciate the schooling.

I thoughts the seat and probably the springer weren’t original, the springer’s too clean to be that old, in Louisiana, there would be at least some rust, unless it was stored indoors forever.

Back