When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April 28 1914 Bicycling and Motorcycle review

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
what bike is the bottom right? under the Merkel

page 60 bottom two.jpg

page 61.jpg

page 64.jpg

==================================================================================================
==================================================================================================

Still trying to solve the mystery

Schwinn yes, thank you. What is the double bar on bottom left page 59?

No Meads...

Premier reads like a Mead ad, describes a ribbed fork. Here is a 1915 Crusader advanced circular clip showing the motorbike frame. Offered in various colors, unlike the Ranger brown only.

The schwinn, (No fork description)looks like the Ranger motorbike.

Come on readers, who's got a pic of 1915 Ranger motorbike with truss fork????

Come on readers, who's got a pic of 1915 Ranger motorbike with truss fork????

Oh...you wanted a photo..not a catalog page. I won wondering why I was posting a cat pages that you already posted.

Anyway, here's another page from another 1915 catalog.

1915 Mead ranger Suberbe2.jpg

Great review of 1914

Hello all

ABC American Bicycle Company was formed in May 1899
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bicycle_Company
with Albert Spaulding as the chief architect ...and he was ruthless....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spalding_(sports_equipment)
after ABC hit the skids Pope tried to pick up the pieces ... but the slow death had set in .

Bruce Epperson's most excellent book Peddling Bicycles to America goes into great detail of all the back stabbing
this is a must read if interested into American cycle history ...

http://books.google.com/books?id=2F...pperson&hl=en&sa=X&ei=d_UPU9GnCojR2QWxmYDIDw&
ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=bruce%20epperson&f=false

1893 Columbia Expo and major railroad financial disaster ... bike sales minimal, 94 moderate increase , 95 huge demand as the economy improves and cycling become cool within the upper society circles ,,bicycle industry scrambles to build bikes tubing shortage from England does not help.. 96 production and sales continue up ...production out runs demand 97 ripples of troubles in the industry begin . Before ABC Garford does the same type monopoly in the saddle industry... he becomes the saddle King and earns the role helping Spaulding in forming ABC.

Problem the bikes built in 94-97 are just too darn good you do not need to replace them annually....for that fact if maintained I understand folks still ride 110 year bikes!
.1898 the big push to the next big thing to spur sales the Chainless...... and the coaster brake late in the year .... too little too late prices fell through the floor ... the high luster attraction to the bicycle was gone amongst the very rich as they now turned to automobiles, the young and wild to motor bikes and the common man jumped on the street cars for a nickle ...

Much money was made and lost in the cycling world ....

Thank you for posting the 1914 literature ... great to see the variety of models offered .

Cheers Carey

Great Thread ... bee-bump-a-loo-la .. you can re-read ... just for the good it'll do ya .....

.......... patric

==========================
==========================

bottom right, page 61! i need to know more info about that "America Truss Farme" and the fork on it. any info is greatly greatly appreciated!!

I don't see any women's bicycles in the publications. I just picked this up, any info on the model/year?

5v6pz99-1.jpg

Back