When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April 28 1914 Bicycling and Motorcycle review

-
If there was a big bicycle boom pre-1914 .. this typer believes that boom was related to at least
two of the following three ... The Safety Bicycle ... The Female, Drop-Top Tube Safety Bicycle ...
The Dunlop Pneumatic Tire.

Just can't assign a year.

.......... patric

=============================================================================
=============================================================================

The introduction of the motorcycle and the automobile were the pins that deflated the bicycle industry.

98% of pre 1900 were made for adults – a utilitarian mode of transportation!

Once the motorcycle craze (post 1900) swept the country, almost every bike manufacture transition to making a motorcycle. The motorcycle trend quickly dissipated with the introduction of the automobile! Adults quickly adopted to sans physical exertion and luxury comfort.

Once this behavior model became the excepted norm, (1905-1920's?) the bicycle market lost its glimmer!

Bike manufactures quickly looked for new avenues to sell product and found it in a younger market...promoting and selling to young boys! Bike designs quickly took on the styles of pseudo motorbikes, replicas of their Dad's or the big brothers' motorcycles.

I agree with Patric, that the big boom year was a year when more bikes were produced than other years. Like I said before, I'm guessing that the year was closer to 1900, for the same reasons that Fordsnake states, although, those reasons I considered obvious and not worth mentioning. Sitting on my doorstep right now is a box containing a TOC Schwinn World tandem. I wonder what questions I will have once it is unboxed. I now own 4 TOC tandems, an Ide, a Rambler, a Columbus and now a Schwinn. I also have a Colson, a Schwinn Town and Country, a highly mountainbiked Schwinn Twin, a Rollfast and two Santana tandems. How many can I ride at once? I'm getting dizzy thinking about it.

ScreenShot20140225at111324AMpng-1.jpg

thanks for setting the record straight Carlton.

see, 1897 is "close to" 1898....
...but it's not Rare....... oh, that was another thread....

Back