When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April 28 1914 Bicycling and Motorcycle review

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If there was a big bicycle boom pre-1914 .. this typer believes that boom was related to at least
two of the following three ... The Safety Bicycle ... The Female, Drop-Top Tube Safety Bicycle ...
The Dunlop Pneumatic Tire.

Just can't assign a year.

.......... patric

=============================================================================
=============================================================================

The introduction of the motorcycle and the automobile were the pins that deflated the bicycle industry.

98% of pre 1900 were made for adults – a utilitarian mode of transportation!

Once the motorcycle craze (post 1900) swept the country, almost every bike manufacture transition to making a motorcycle. The motorcycle trend quickly dissipated with the introduction of the automobile! Adults quickly adopted to sans physical exertion and luxury comfort.

Once this behavior model became the excepted norm, (1905-1920's?) the bicycle market lost its glimmer!

Bike manufactures quickly looked for new avenues to sell product and found it in a younger market...promoting and selling to young boys! Bike designs quickly took on the styles of pseudo motorbikes, replicas of their Dad's or the big brothers' motorcycles.

I agree with Patric, that the big boom year was a year when more bikes were produced than other years. Like I said before, I'm guessing that the year was closer to 1900, for the same reasons that Fordsnake states, although, those reasons I considered obvious and not worth mentioning. Sitting on my doorstep right now is a box containing a TOC Schwinn World tandem. I wonder what questions I will have once it is unboxed. I now own 4 TOC tandems, an Ide, a Rambler, a Columbus and now a Schwinn. I also have a Colson, a Schwinn Town and Country, a highly mountainbiked Schwinn Twin, a Rollfast and two Santana tandems. How many can I ride at once? I'm getting dizzy thinking about it.

ScreenShot20140225at111324AMpng-1.jpg

thanks for setting the record straight Carlton.

see, 1897 is "close to" 1898....
...but it's not Rare....... oh, that was another thread....

Back