When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

April 4th 1961 26" Schwinn Skipper double straight bar value?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bike from the Dead

I live for the CABE
I just traded for this 26" Schwinn Skipper earlier this Sunday, but I'm thinking of either selling it or trading it for something else. I know it was built on April 4th, 1961 according to the serial number, but I don't know how much of the bike is original, outside of the paint. If anyone can give me an idea of how much it's worth/what I could sell/trade it for, please let me know.
20211024_182025-jpg.jpg

20211024_182110-jpg.jpg

20211024_182132-jpg.jpg

20211024_182204-jpg.jpg

dsc_8088-jpg.jpg

dsc_8101-jpg.jpg

dsc_8107-jpg.jpg

dsc_8113-jpg.jpg

dsc_8118-jpg.jpg

dsc_8124-jpg.jpg

dsc_8128-jpg.jpg

dsc_8139-jpg.jpg

dsc_8146-jpg.jpg

dsc_8152-jpg.jpg

dsc_8160-jpg.jpg

dsc_8165-jpg.jpg

dsc_8171-jpg.jpg

dsc_8190-jpg.jpg

dsc_8202-jpg.jpg

dsc_8209-jpg.jpg

Looks pretty much original other than the seat, grips and most likely the kickstand. Not a single comp on eBay so it must be a scarce model. Lets start the bidding at $100 and see if there's a buyer. 😉

Are fenders replacements?
I do not think so, oddly the '61 was advertised with chrome fenders.
I just traded for this 26" Schwinn Skipper earlier this Sunday, but I'm thinking of either selling it or trading it for something else. I know it was built on April 4th, 1961 according to the serial number, but I don't know how much of the bike is original, outside of the paint. If anyone can give me an idea of how much it's worth/what I could sell/trade it for, please let me know.
View attachment 1503103
View attachment 1503104
View attachment 1503105
View attachment 1503106
View attachment 1503107
View attachment 1503108
View attachment 1503109
View attachment 1503110
View attachment 1503111
View attachment 1503112
View attachment 1503113
View attachment 1503114
View attachment 1503115
View attachment 1503116
View attachment 1503117
View attachment 1503118
View attachment 1503119
View attachment 1503120
View attachment 1503121
View attachment 1503122
You need to get in front of the right buyer and the Cabe would be a good place for that. The double straight bar is a somewhat desirable frame due to it being one year only. Nice fairly complete bike. I could see it going for $300 to the right person.

I'm with GT. But kickstand much later. Those fenders do not look right to me either. Could be the tread of the tires filling them up. But front very close to downtube. These are interesting bikes. Here is a pic of my late 61 that has been in the redo line for way to long. Notice the different Typhoon like continuous straight bars. Skipper was the nickname of Schwinn's son.

015.JPG

Looks pretty much original other than the seat, grips and most likely the kickstand. Not a single comp on eBay so it must be a scarce model. Lets start the bidding at $100 and see if there's a buyer. 😉
I had a hunch those were the only unoriginal parts. I wish I figured out how to sell on eBay, but at the rate they keep changing their policies, I don't even want to try anymore. Thanks!

I do not think so, oddly the '61 was advertised with chrome fenders.

You need to get in front of the right buyer and the Cabe would be a good place for that. The double straight bar is a somewhat desirable frame due to it being one year only. Nice fairly complete bike. I could see it going for $300 to the right person.
I saw one of those ads when I was researching this bike. I would hope the fenders are original, but there's always a chance they could be a replacement.

This is a one year only frame? I thought they were made from at least the late '50s to the early '60s before the continuous bar frame came about. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a one year frame. I would definitely love to sell it on here or ratrodbikes.com, but I've never shipped a whole bike before, and I doubt anyone would want to drive all the way to Tulsa, Oklahoma to pick it up locally. Is there an in-depth guide for shipping complete bikes for first-timers? I don't know what sort of materials I'll need, outside of a bike box and some pipe insulation, or how much that'll cost. I would like to figure out how to ship bikes, so I can do it more often in the future.

$300?! Dang, I knew I traded up when I got this bike, but I didn't think I traded that high up!
The problem with me is " Skipper" was Barbie's little sister hahaha
First thing that popped into my head when I saw the name was Gilligan's Island. Which is weird, because I never watched that show. (Parents did though.)

I'm with GT. But kickstand much later. Those fenders do not look right to me either. Could be the tread of the tires filling them up. But front very close to downtube. These are interesting bikes. Here is a pic of my late 61 that has been in the redo line for way to long. Notice the different Typhoon like continuous straight bars. Skipper was the nickname of Schwinn's son.

View attachment 1503440
Yeah, I was positive the seat, grips and kickstand weren't original, but I just wanted to be sure. I see what you mean about the fenders. I've got a Hollywood with S7 tires closer to the originals, and they don't fill up the fenders nearly as much as the tires on this bike. These tires almost look like balloon tires, even though they're clearly S7s. I wouldn't be too surprised if the fenders aren't original, but too be fair, I have a 1950 DX that had original fenders, and even they sat closer to the down tube than what looked right. I know the front fender is bowed out at the back, so maybe that's part of it?

You've got a nice one there! If mine had the continuous bars like yours, I'd probably keep this bike, but this frame design always looked off to be, as you've got the seat stays that end right above where the straight bars start/end. It just looked like a missed opportunity. Your bike is the one that seized that opportunity, and looks that much better because of it. I like to call that frame style the "cantilever straight bar," even though I don't know anyone else who calls them that.

Huh, so that's why it's called that. Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Back