When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Araya Rims Stamped S7 and S2

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Does anyone know why and when Araya made S7 rims? Seems kind of pointless to make a rim to fit Schwinn's bastard sized middleweight tire. Looks like they also stamped some of their rims with S2. I've had a few Araya rims but never had one of these with the S stampings. Possibly made shortly after Schwinn shut down the Chicago plant?

1606458879019.png

1606458937673.png

Good question. I recall seeing the rim size 26x2x1-3/4" (yes, really) in a 70s Araya or Ukai catalog.

I have been wondering if an oversize s7 tire, similar to what has become popular lately, might have been available in Asia way back in the 70s.

I did know Araya made a steel 26x2.125 rim. That was in their catalogs for a long time, and I have seen them on bikes, though I don't recall exactly what. It does sort of surprise me to see it marked s2, though I probably paid no attention to anything beyond "26x2.125" back then.

What kind bikes did you find the rims on?

EDIT from 1970:

ca02-02.jpg

Also look here for more: https://www.araya-kk.co.jp/rim/catalog.html I can't seem to find anything that is explicitly s7.

Last edited:
The one stamped S7 is on the rear of a late 60's Typhoon. The others were on Schwinn lightweights. I have no idea when Schwinn stopped producing the S-7's so maybe these were made as replacements? The regular 26' x 1.75 rims are smaller and the rear calipers on a Schwinn will not reach. Years ago Fong was producing an over sized S-7 brick tread tire. When these new S-7 brick treads came out I started looking for information on Fong since I thought these new tires could have been remade by them with that F&R branding. Found out that Duro is making these new copies and Duro is business related to Fong.

Thanks for posting that list @bloo Went threw them and didn't see anything related, even on the tubular rims. Also on those S rims they are marked W/O between the size and S markings and I'm not sure what that signifies.

Kinda related to this thread, I have a tubular rim with Bendix hub that is marked 26 x 1 3/4 Made in Canada.

Kinda related to this thread, I have a tubular rim with Bendix hub that is marked 26 x 1 3/4 Made in Canada.

Was there a brand name on that rim?
From what I found these Araya S rims are old school but can't find out when they were made. I have to assume they were made for a replacement.

Back