When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Arc Welding

-

mantaray

Look Ma, No Hands!
I can mig but who can’t lol. So here’s my problem. I have a 160 amp DC arc welder & I’m really good with 6013 (1/8,3/32 mainly) but keep sticking or burning through plates with anything else..... what did everybody else start learning with? Where should I go from here/try next? Any tips on polarity, amperage setting? Any good arc welding advice you could share please. I’m just sticking with steel for now but any advice would be priceless. Thanks

If you can do 6013, you can do 7018. Start with 3/32, and set welder to about 78-80 amps. Drag smooth and dont whip it. You'll be just fine.

I weld pipe and plate in my trade. We mainly use 6010 & 7018. 6010 works great on metal that is not as clean. The weld wont look as clean as 7018 but then again as stated above practice practice practice, and you sure can make that roll of dimes spill out. If you are sticking a lot try using the "lighting a match" method of striking the arc as apposed to tapping for your arc. And keep the electrode from touching, use your other hand to help guide/ keep that 1/16-1/8 inch gap but remember obviously further away more spatter once your going you can dig more. Use more of a whipping motion on the 6010 where as the 7018 you can still whip a little but it's almost more of a dragging motion. When I weld pipe and plate I tend to go "roughly" around 90 amps on 6010 and around 120 amps on 7018.

I can mig but who can’t lol. So here’s my problem. I have a 160 amp DC arc welder & I’m really good with 6013 (1/8,3/32 mainly) but keep sticking or burning through plates with anything else..... what did everybody else start learning with? Where should I go from here/try next? Any tips on polarity, amperage setting? Any good arc welding advice you could share please. I’m just sticking with steel for now but any advice would be priceless. Thanks
7018 on dc is my favorite. Makes a great weld. But anything on a bike i would brass braze. Mom

Back