When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ariel Questions

-

Parsons

On Training Wheels
I've had this Ariel for several years. Just now getting around to it. Based on the color and dimensions I'm assuming it's a Model No 3 Light Roadster. The serial number is R9177. Can anyone decode the serial number? The catalog describes the color as Maroon and Black. Is this really the original paint? I know the decals on the seat tube are added, and I assume the "Ariel" decal on the down tube is added since the letters are all individually cut decals. I'll take any tips to safely remove decals without damaging the paint.

The bike came with some Louis Raster & Sons wood rims. They have a red stain. Would the original bike have had red rims?

from the look of the front fork, I highly doubt the frame is original paint.

The only catalog images I have for Ariel is 1893, at that time they said they made all of their parts, except for the tires, maybe they started using different wheels later.

between 1893 and 1895, the managed to shave 7 pounds of weight off of them. The 93 brochure shows them at 32 pounds.

Last edited:
Agree. The condition of the paint doesn't match the condition of the nickel plating. The handle bars are in pretty rough shape.
So the catalog says maroon and black enamel. Does anyone know how this frame is supposed to look?
I assume the wood rims are aftermarket. They look too new compared to everything else on the bike (except the frame finish). Were most wood rims of this era natural wood color? I'm not a fan of the red rims!

The stickers, look like RTA vinyl, if so, a heat gun or hair dryer will help remove them quickly.

I believe in 1895 most wood rims were natural finished. Here is a reference from January 24, 1895 issue of The Iron Age talking about color on new 1895 models. It says Ariels were distinguished by their frames finished in maroon enamel. It reference only Stearns and Syracuse as having colored rims for 1895:

Links to other Ariels previously posted on CABE:

Back