As-Found Schwinn Whizzer document time capsule
Up for consideration is an amazing Schwinn Whizzer document and literature time capsule. This large, heavy folder was kept by a young man named Thomas Burkland, just a regular guy who drove a 1926 Model T and made layaway payments on several Schwinns and Schwinn Whizzers. Living in Nebraska after the war, he frequented The Cycle Man, owned by Maurice J. Frank
. Mr. Frank must have had been a bicycle mentor of sorts, besides just being an astute business man. He sold all types of Schwinns, and Whizzer kits, and from some initial research online I found he sold prewar Schwinns badged “The Cycle Man”.
This book was carefully assembled over many years time, and contains bicycle registration cards, hang tags, and layaway receipts issued by the Cycle Man in the late 40’s. Much of the literature inside is prewar, and it appears to me that nothing was added after 1949 but I could be wrong. Stuffed with bicycle literature, it represents an instant collection of bicycle-related catalogues, service bulletins, price lists and full-color and black-and-white brochures.
I thought for a moment of individually listing most of it’s parts, but thought that someone might appreciate this original grouping just as it has been, together over 75 years. Leather-like binder is thick, I did not try the zipper but it may be serviceable with some love. I had to take over 80 photographs in order to capture everything, but will include just a few dozen. Here is just a partial listing of it contents:
$150 Starting bid...
View attachment 1794276
View attachment 1794277
View attachment 1794278
View attachment 1794279
View attachment 1794280
View attachment 1794281
View attachment 1794282
View attachment 1794283
View attachment 1794284
View attachment 1794298
View attachment 1794299
View attachment 1794300
View attachment 1794301
View attachment 1794302
- Island Cycle Supply Catalog - prewar
- Layaway payment receipts on a Whizzer to the Cycle Man, pretty neat
- Hang tags
- Personal bike registration forms
- early postwar Schwinn bike purchase receipts
- 1941 Schwinn Catalog
- Schwinn Built Accessories Parts - prewar
- Prewar Ranger color brochure
- Whizzer pInstallation and Operating Manual
- 1949 Columbia fold-out catalog
- 1940 War Department motorcycle manual!
- Severa Catalogs! Morrow, New Departure 2-speed and full line service manual, Person's Majestic, Messinger, Troxel50th Anniversary catalog, Diamond Chain, Lobdell-Emery, Raleigh, JR Motor Supply, Mussleman, and more.