When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Assistance in Identifying Abandoned Bicycle, 1950 Columbia?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
That’s quite a project.

I’d make sure you know what you are getting into before you start to invest. Everything will need a serious rehab just to get it rolling again.

Wheels alone can add up quickly. Spokes, tires / tubes / rim strips, bearings, grease etc. That’s assuming the hubs are complete & serviceable and the rims aren’t toast.

That’s quite a project.

I’d make sure you know what you are getting into before you start to invest. Everything will need a serious rehab just to get it rolling again.

Wheels alone can add up quickly. Spokes, tires / tubes / rim strips, bearings, grease etc. That’s assuming the hubs are complete & serviceable and the rims aren’t toast.
Honestly the price doesn’t matter to me, getting it back on the road is my main goal. And yes I did realize everything you just said before I bought it. I will need almost everything outside of the frame, fork, and fenders.

I wouldn’t use that bike as a template for an accurate restoration-a lot of wrong there. Also you are starting with a pretty rough specimen and even if this was a near mint original wouldn’t have a lot of value. Just something to consider as you move forward.
Do you have a good photo of one that I could base off of for restoration?

Do you have a good photo of one that I could base off of for restoration?
Do you know exactly what year that Huffman is? If you’re going to do a full restoration you need to know the correct year, things change from year to year.

Honestly the price doesn’t matter to me, getting it back on the road is my main goal. And yes I did realize everything you just said before I bought it. I will need almost everything outside of the frame, fork, and fenders.
Pretty sure you’ll need those too , that carcass is not restorable , not to be blunt 😎 pinholes in the frame, deep corrosion and metal loss not just rust

Yep determine the year then you can narrow down the model (maybe) or at least know which direction you want to go i.e. standard, mid level, or deluxe.

The pictures of four models in the 1948 brochure or catalog does not show the same 18" double bar design, that the 1951 ad below described as the promotional model (142).
1951_huffy_mainliner.jpg

Western Auto described theirs as a competitive model (lower right).
WF Huffy 5.jpg

For sometime in ~1949 to early ~1950, the serial number may have been stamped on the seat post clamp.

Not sure, but that older style of forks might also have a date code stamp behind the fork crown?

Last edited:
Ahh I see, I might try to reveal the serial# but that might happen only after I get the rust removed. Also despite what some will say, I have hope that the person I am contacting will be able to refurbish the frame. Thank you all for your assistance, and I will have an update possibly by this coming Saturday, no promises.

Back