When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Assistance in solving a mystery.

-
So this is the breakdown on the real story of this bike. 1919 Schwinn built Deluxe Flyer. Ironically, I purchased the badge prior to buying the fake HD Bicycle itself at the same swap meet and same seller. What are the odds of getting that lucky. The bike has a Davis fork apparently. Will likely find a home with someone who needs it. The head tube on the Davis must have been about a half of an inch longer than the Schwinn built frame. This research went faster than I anticipated. I will likely restore the frame and fenders and build a daily retro klunker of sorts. I will do it some justice and post pics later. Thank you all for your time and expertise.

3B1C8D55-14D5-42BE-8878-E2322B4E7C55.jpeg

I think it's more likely a 1922/23 Schwinn built. Possibly a Hawthorne Flyer. I think the Schwinn Built Deluxe Flyers were earlier although it's all a little fuzzy in the early AS days. There are a couple in the Pre '33 AS & CO thread that haven't made the updated list. Knowing the year may help you nail down how it was badged. If I remember correctly the Hawthorne badged Schwinns I've seen were '24. Nice project and if the badge fits rock it!

I'll add it when I get around to the next update

Admittedly there is a pretty big gap in verified examples from 1918-23. Yours does have the built in drop stand ears. It's certainly earlier than '23 but I still think it's a little later than '19. Wish we had a better grasp on annual production numbers for those years. It will be interesting to see where it falls as more examples pop up. I'd like to see a known 1919 Hawthorne serial # and font.

What's up with the crank that was on yours? I know most likely not original

Admittedly there is a pretty big gap in verified examples from 1918-23. Yours does have the built in drop stand ears. It's certainly earlier than '23 but I still think it's a little later than '19. Wish we had a better grasp on annual production numbers for those years. It will be interesting to see where it falls as more examples pop up. I'd like to see a known 1919 Hawthorne serial # and font.

What's up with the crank that was on yours? I know most likely not original
it’s likely not original. I have something else going on it.

Back