When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Assistance in solving a mystery.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
So this is the breakdown on the real story of this bike. 1919 Schwinn built Deluxe Flyer. Ironically, I purchased the badge prior to buying the fake HD Bicycle itself at the same swap meet and same seller. What are the odds of getting that lucky. The bike has a Davis fork apparently. Will likely find a home with someone who needs it. The head tube on the Davis must have been about a half of an inch longer than the Schwinn built frame. This research went faster than I anticipated. I will likely restore the frame and fenders and build a daily retro klunker of sorts. I will do it some justice and post pics later. Thank you all for your time and expertise.

3B1C8D55-14D5-42BE-8878-E2322B4E7C55.jpeg

I think it's more likely a 1922/23 Schwinn built. Possibly a Hawthorne Flyer. I think the Schwinn Built Deluxe Flyers were earlier although it's all a little fuzzy in the early AS days. There are a couple in the Pre '33 AS & CO thread that haven't made the updated list. Knowing the year may help you nail down how it was badged. If I remember correctly the Hawthorne badged Schwinns I've seen were '24. Nice project and if the badge fits rock it!

I'll add it when I get around to the next update

Admittedly there is a pretty big gap in verified examples from 1918-23. Yours does have the built in drop stand ears. It's certainly earlier than '23 but I still think it's a little later than '19. Wish we had a better grasp on annual production numbers for those years. It will be interesting to see where it falls as more examples pop up. I'd like to see a known 1919 Hawthorne serial # and font.

What's up with the crank that was on yours? I know most likely not original

Admittedly there is a pretty big gap in verified examples from 1918-23. Yours does have the built in drop stand ears. It's certainly earlier than '23 but I still think it's a little later than '19. Wish we had a better grasp on annual production numbers for those years. It will be interesting to see where it falls as more examples pop up. I'd like to see a known 1919 Hawthorne serial # and font.

What's up with the crank that was on yours? I know most likely not original
it’s likely not original. I have something else going on it.

Back