When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

At a loss

-

bentwoody66

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I had an idea to use a Fauber crank set-up on my new project and make parts for it to fit. Due to the size difference of bearing cups I've decided to scrap that idea. I know that earlier Yales had a split bottom bracket with a D&J crank but my frame doesn't have that. I'm looking for ideas as to what crank would have been used on this bike for period correctness from 1910-1914.
2188ebea350bbddb71972f50bbf07fb2.jpg
04e0e2dc2fc7855c6af24680381ca640.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Here's a photo of a 1911 Yale motorcycle I once owned. I also added a cool early photo of a 1911 4hp, single speed, belt drive.
View attachment 1087891
An article in "The Bicycling World and Motorcycle Review" October 20, 1914 mentions:
"...the Yale exhibit, the balance of which consisted of three models of bicycles, one of them of the motorcycle type".
So maybe in the Consolidated era, the double bar was their motorcycle type?
The 5-arm sprocket above almost looks like a Snyder, with 4 extra wedge shaped cut-outs.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same but I believe the lower pic is a juvenile bike, hence the lower number of teeth. Would D&J cranks be adopted to a non cartridge style bearing? Dawalt just sold a frame with a non cartridge style D&J crank.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back