When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATALA 50s-60s?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Photos of a presumed (by owner) 50s Atala. Link: https://flic.kr/s/aHskCynTgG

This might have been what my frame should look like. Unknown if it is original paint and decals. Columbus decal (if even Columbus tubing) is definitely incorrect for the year it was made by about 20 years or more. My frame has remnants of dark blue on top of 'cream' paint on the rear drop-outs so that does provide some evidence as to its true livery.

not trying to highjack your thread, somewhat similar bikes, well their both early atals. condorinos maybe, here's my serial number. I'd like to see more pics of your bike and componets...thanks

View attachment 1515097

View attachment 1515098
I'm going with mid to late 50s. My serial number indicates mine as a 1958 model. Your serial does not seem to fit the same format; maybe '57? I am installing the same front derailleur as you have which I am told is 50s vintage due to Italian make. I would appreciate it if you could show the FD disassembled with parts laid out in proper order as I am trying to ascertain if my unit is complete and properly assembled. Thanks

-----

1953 parts drawing for the Competition model -

1637593358552.png

-----

thanks for the diagram juvela, now I don't have to take mine apart..ha. I thought it an odd mix of the simplex and campy. little did I know for a short while they were producing in Italy. you guys are a wealth of knowledge. I think my bike is a 1957, still unsure of the model, it has internal routing which condorinos had. of the cool this and that on my bike, I like the nanni stem the most

20211122_170731.jpg

20211118_163301.jpg

20211122_170845.jpg

20211122_170828.jpg

-----

thanks very much for these images!

me favourite component is the leaning tower of dovecote

have never known the years of operation for the Simplex of Italy entity - know only that it was active in the 1950's - it is likely responsible for the existence of those chrome Simplex of Italy hubs produced by Fratelli Brivio

have long assumed it was created to get round import duties so that Juy could get some custom with Italian cycle producers...

-----

juvela, your such a kidder, leaning tower of dovecote, you had me thinking of bike graphics or componets for a minute

thanks for the diagram juvela, now I don't have to take mine apart..ha. I thought it an odd mix of the simplex and campy. little did I know for a short while they were producing in Italy. you guys are a wealth of knowledge. I think my bike is a 1957, still unsure of the model, it has internal routing which condorinos had. of the cool this and that on my bike, I like the nanni stem the most
I like your Nanni stem also. Now you have me wanting to find one.
Thanks @juvela for the the break-out diagram; I've had mine apart and rebuilt it the same way, but who knows if it was correct at the start with all parts in place.
"kc", you still need to take your mech apart for overhauling (at least I would); but you don't need to post photos now! You never know what might be worn out or about to be worn out. I managed to find a couple of new spare parts for mine so I expect it to function smoothly without play once those pieces are installed although it seems to work fine as is.
What is your seat post diameter? Just curious since mine is odd; approx. 26.2mm. I plan on shimming a Campy 26.0mm post for use since I have no bike with 26.0mm seat tube I.D.

A note about the possibility, or probability of the Atala fork not being original to the frame, whether from an Atala or not, is the fact that it has a sloping crown where one would expect a flat crown for that year of manufacture.

Last edited:
-----

crown -

Agrati enjoyed a very strong dominance of frame bits for Italian manufactured bicycles; especially so for production models

Rizzato employed primarily Agrati parts for their frame construction

by the mid-to-late nineteen sixties they began utilizing the Prugnat 62/d pattern lugs for the top models yet still paired it with an Agrati crown

Agrati crowns are overwhelmingly semi-sloping - perhaps twenty or more patterns

the generalization holds true for the earlier Malguti frame building parts as well

the one Agrati catalogue here shows only one or to flat toppers

interesting to read that Cesare was employing a flat topper for some models at this era

-----

-----

crown -

Agrati enjoyed a very strong dominance of frame bits for Italian manufactured bicycles; especially so for production models

Rizzato employed primarily Agrati parts for their frame construction

by the mid-to-late nineteen sixties they began utilizing the Prugnat 62/d pattern lugs for the top models yet still paired it with an Agrati crown

Agrati crowns are overwhelmingly semi-sloping - perhaps twenty or more patterns

the generalization holds true for the earlier Malguti frame building parts as well

the one Agrati catalogue here shows only one or to flat toppers

interesting to read that Cesare was employing a flat topper for some models at this era

-----
Since I have been researching this frame all crowns I have observed are flat. Granted, I would have trouble calling it a semi-sloped crown, but the early models I have seen do not have a slope on them. I don't believe kccomet's crown has a slope, we need a better view of it. The bike I linked to appears flat, but has a different crown lug also. Have you checked out that example on the Flickr site? That one is my best guess for original color it his has not been repainted, or has been repainted the same colors it originally had. I will continue to research just to see other examples.

Back