When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ATALA 50s-60s?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
crown

20211118_163409.jpg

20211118_163157.jpg

-----

@kccomet -

the crown on your machine is Agrati item N. 000.8529 and is part of Agrati lug ensemble "AMERICA"

it is a semi-sloper

the slope does not show well in the two images provided since both are down angle

slope would be more apparent in images made level with crown

slope is quite slight but it is there if one looks closely

---

the crown on the machine in the flickr album is also a semi-sloper

the lower horizontal slot/flute is OEM while the upper one is a customization

this crown widely employed in Italy and also by a few producers in the UK during the 1950's and 1960's

Bozzi employed it for a long period on Frejus brand machines

-----

thank you @juvela. My eyes are not perceiving the slope, but I trust your knowledge regarding these issues.

-----

Agrati offered a chrome cap for the crown on the kccomet machine

it is the only crown pattern for which they offered a chrome cap and it is item nr. 202.9110

in Italian the part is termed a "copritesta forcella"

the crown was employed extensively by Chiorda for decades both on cycles bearing their name and also upon the hundreds of contract builds they performed

decades ago I saw so much of it that I thought it proprietary to Chiorda at one time

-----

I found an Atala/Iris BB and crankset, but spindle races (stamped Iris) looked rough.
No "Ligie" decals found. Lygie headset (Magistroni?) located for $40, but shipping over $55 (ebay BS!) so no purchase there.Amazing how I can have a frameset and some parts shipped from Italy for about $65-$70; but something that I can fit in my hand it being shipped at nearly the same cost. Tried talking the seller down on shipping cost, but no go. Oh well, may just end up as a modern build without any concern as to what era that part is; got an Azzurro headset if stack height is correct just to use an odd brand.

-----

in case you have not already seen it you might wish to look at this Lygie restoration thread -

a detailed discussion of transfers is included...

-----

-----

in case you have not already seen it you might wish to look at this Lygie restoration thread -

a detailed discussion of transfers is included...

-----
Thanks juvela! I would probably never have found that post; it takes me too long to search and I have no patience. I might have to become a member there just to ask that individual if he still has the stencil. I kind of figured I might have to do something like that in order to retain the original spelling design. It would probably require a tracing from both sides laid on top of on another to get the full word since each side is only partially there. That photo of that decal in the previous post looks better than it really is. I don't have all kinds of computer scanners, printers, copiers, etc. to do whatever that guy was talking about. I would do it completely by hand; painted on would be a big plus anyways. A little time consuming, but very low cost. I may ask Greg down-under if he can do it; he's helped me before.

Managed to find a nice set of Campagnolo Sport "Atala" badged hubs for $75 (build up some Nisi rims). A bit more than I wanted to pay since I already have a set without the "Atala" stamp, but I will now use those for the Lygie so it works out okay. Still looking for a cottered BB assy; I may just go with a Camp. 151 bcd crankset (I think it's an early 60s model) and a modern Camp. cartridge BB (of which I have a couple dozen for general use). Still, I would prefer to utilize the OE crankset.

Finally have the Atala branded hubs. Excellent condition and function. Not sure if they are made by Rizzato. I need to compare to some Campy Sport 50s steel hubs (open "C" era skewers). They appear very similar if memory serves, but I will do a side by side comparison when possible.

Back