When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atala Bike

-
You must be a Southern Lady.If I remember right ,"Bless your heart" was a polite way of telling someone to "go*#&$&^ themselves" lol
Why now, kind Sir, we are known for our southern hospitality, sweet tea, and manners oh, and Football! War Eagle!

Nice find! And for $20 you did well, although these bikes are generally worth "what a fool will give for it", as they say in our part of the world. As previous posters have already mentioned, bikes like these were produced from the 1930's onward, and are still being made. Excellent design for town use, and "vintage", you know. My gut says yours is from the seventies, or even eighties. Are those rims made from stainless steel? If you're looking for a production date, two things are worth looking into.

1. date codes on the parts. Hubs, cranks and brakes often have date codes stamped into them, which can often be deciphered with the help of the Internet.
2. the Atala logo on the chain case. I haven't seen that very often - if at all - and could point to a specific era.

Enjoy the bike!

Not worth much on the market, but these kinds of bikes are good looking, nice riding, and durable, which makes them good keepers, anyway. Probably get a good number of compliments on the classic, elegant design and all for $20! Nice find.

-----

small tip -

since pedals a mismatch we know at least one has been replaced.

in order for a pedal to receive great enough deformation to necessitate replacement a reasonably strong impact has been sustained at some point.

it could be either from machine being lain down at speed or from being struck directly amidships from the side.

in either case it is possible impact was great eno' to have -

a) possibly bent crank arm

b) possibly bent bottom bracket spindle

c) possibly put frame out of alignment

checking these items takes only moments and would be wise to do prior to putting machine into use.

-----

Back