When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atherton Hub

-

yan.kun0567

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi,

my Name is Jan, I'm from Germany and I'm searching a late Atherton hub, like this one:

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/atherton-1907-36h-rear-coaster.101863/

In Germany, the very same hub was produced (lincesed or copied or was it the other way round?) by Dürkopp as "Atlas" and also branded for several others bicycles makers with custom logos on the brake arms. I'm having a brake arm for "Teutonia", a name used by "August Stukenbrok" for his own range of bicycles and accessories.

Here in Germany this hub is very difficult (till now impossible) to find. It seems like only the brake arms survived because so far, this is the only part of the hub I've ever seen here in Germany!

I'm restoring a Stukenbrok Deutschland No. 1 bciycle from 1912, which would be a perfect match for this hub. The No. 1 was a mid-priced bicycle with the Teutonia hub offered as a mid priced coaster brake hub. And of course I'm having the Teutonia marked brake arm in my possession. So the hub offered could by missing the brake arm, as I'm gonne replace it anyway. By the way, I would require 36 spoke holes.

Thanks for looking into this thread, looking forward to find such a hub!

Best wishes and kind regards from Germany,

Jan

atlas.png

Hi, thanks for pointing this out! This is unfortunately a later model, recognisable by the concave middle part between the flanges. I need the one with the flat middle part and the brake arm closer to the body :)

I have 2 early American made Atherton hubs, complete with arms, and 1 single American arm, like the one in the catalog page. They are built like a Sherman tank! Tough!

Hi, by writing this, you mean you have one to spare? :D Yeah, from the pictures I've seen so far, this hub looks incredible tough and well engineered, compared to other hubs of the time. And seeing the survived ones in such a condition after over 110 years is a good sign. In Germany the only other hub I know being that long living, is the Torpedo :) But as nearly 99% percent of the vintage bicycles here are equipped with one, it's also a quit boring hub and I'm in love with the less famous hubs, even if they are incredible hard to find.

Yes, I have a complete hub and arm, plus an extra arm, like the one in the catalog picture, but has the American script.

B2EA11F5-1428-446D-B576-01C36719A4E0.jpeg

5619DD44-E44E-49F6-B232-BA7423D766C6.jpeg

Hi Giovanni, thank you but unfortunately this is also the later version with the concave body. I'm looking for the early version with the flat body, as shown in the picture and link in my first post :)

Back