When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Atom brake overhaul video

-

Grey Ghost

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Does anyone know of any videos showing an Atom drum brake overhaul?

I have found some Sturmey Archer brake videos but nothing specific to the Krate Atom brake. Are they the same?

I am ready to tear into my front brake but need to know what size wrenches and/or cone wrench I need.

I have searched the forum, and YouTube, for this info, believe me.

Any help is much appreciated.

Don't over think this. If you have basic mechanical skills these are fairly simple. Just pay attention to how you take it apart--use the phone cam if you have to. If nothing else just take the wheel to your LBS and see what wrench fits or just go ahead and buy and assortment since you'll need them anyway if you mess with bikes very much. V/r Shawn

I will say that these suck to do if your hub has been messed with at all and is missing internal / external washers and spacers like mine was and isn't spinning right.

Grey Ghost I think I have a schematic if wanted I can look but like Shawn said depending on skills might be better taking to a shop. Andy

I’m getting ready to pull it apart.
It looks like it has all the original nuts, washers, and everything, because it’s all the same grimy brown color!

I bought a rebuild kit that is supposed to have everything I need, axle, bearings, washers and nuts.
Gee, I hope it has instructions.....

It doesn’t look like I will need any special wrenches or anything.

This is a later model rear atom hub, but the only example I have to photo. I've had a few of these apart and way more of the front hubs apart to polish and can tell you the order of parts by memory if needed. Lol
Just don't get any petroleum products on the fibrous parts of the brake shoes and you'll be good. Only tricky part might be taking the shoes off of the backing plate. Instead of prying at the springs and ending up stabbing yourself in the hand, pry the shoes inward, away from the backing plate....picture breaking a biscuit in half...

PXL_20221013_025924363.jpg

Also, there are Schwinn service bulletins out there that show you the order of installation.
s-l400.jpg

Very good sir.
Thanks for the schematic.

I searched for the service bulletin but haven’t been able to find it yet.

Looks like I might need a couple of this wrenches after all?

Are those Park wrenches metric size 15&16mm?

I will keep you guys abreast of my struggle. :)

I ordered this kit just to make sure I had parts on hand should I run into any issues.

I ordered a book several days ago called Collectable Sting Ray Bicycles.
I wanted it for the history reading, ads and so forth.

Turns out they show service bulletins in it as well.
This may be very helpful.

Maybe I can quit bothering you guys so much after I get this book. LOL

I have a1969 Schwinn Shop manual. I'll take some pictures of the instructions in it when I get homer and hopefully they'll help.

Back