When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Attic find - just unearthed Volax racing bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Dadburgess

On Training Wheels
Need some historical help - this could be a historical bicycle. I'm from Indy, and my uncle was an avid pre-WWII racer from the Irvington area of Indianapolis.

I'm looking for history of racing in the era, any records as I only have stories and medals/trophies left through my family. My uncle competed on a national and regional level, and it is his bike I've recovered. Unfortunately, he perrished as a fighter pilot during the war so I never got to meet him, and the family never relly discussed much. Was told that Irvington once had a velodrome (other than the later Major Taylor complex in Indy). I'd also appreciate info on the bicycle and local persons to discuss restoration.

The bicycle is a Volax "Flyer", manufactured per the tag at the Volax Cycle Company of Ithica, NY. Is complete less pedals, chain, and a wheel wingnut. Amazingly light to me since it pre-dates the war.

Thanks!

I'm sorry - yes it is Velox... brain fart while in a hurry here at work. I'll take and post pictures after this weekend.

Never heard of Drysdale other than on the Beverley Hillbillies. Being from Manhattan this has piqued my interest. Does anyone know where his shop was, I wonder if it's still standing.

Read the letter he wrote in which he refers to Otto C Ling http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/drysdale_alvin.htm

Note the address: 18 Warren St that's just a couple blocks north of the World Trade Center. This area prior to the towers being built (the first time) was known for having many stores specializing in both musical instruments and electronics supply. I googled the street view and the building appears to be old. There's a cigar store there now.

Saw mention of Alvin's shop having been on the north side of Canal St near Chinatown (this would put it towards the east side of Canal). Funny thing is that many of the electrical supply (and WWII surplus) stores moved to Canal as the towers were being built.

http://www.ebykr.com/2006/06/drysdale/

Is anyone familiar with the Manhattan Stuyvesant bike store of years gone by?
ling.jpg

great bike, are the rims wood. by restoration i hope you mean locating a few parts. the paint and transfers look really nice. did you google alvin drysdale

Back