When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction score of the year?

-
what Market do you need to hit for people to pay 8.000 to 10.000 for this Bike?

The owner specified, that the bike was not for sale, but for insurance purposes, that he'd like to know the value.
$8,000 to $10,000 is what it should be insured for.
If he wanted to sell it, my guess is, that if he listed it for $4,000 it would sell in about two seconds, and that he'd still be doubling his money.
If he listed it for $5,000 it would sell in about ten minutes.
If he listed it for $6,000 it would sell in about an hour.
If he listed it for $7,000 it would sell in about twelve hours.
If he listed it for $8,000 it would sell in about twenty four hours.
A totally over restored Autocycle sat for about a month or so, last year, with a $10,000 dollar price tag. We all thought that it was wishful thinking, but to everybody's surprise, that bike eventually sold for its asking price.
This bike is far and away, a better bike than that one was.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this bicycle appears to be the smallest size and would play into value as well.
I also wonder as Schwinn or big roller collectors get there autocycles, just how many are left with the ability and would engage in an auction full throttle?
Chris

A/C

My two cents,
This bike is in very nice condition when it comes to the paint. I value it in the $6k- $8k range. The first reason I price it at this range is because its a Ranger. The second reason is that is has silveray lights instead of the highly desired seiss, $600 value. Third, it doesn't have a fender bomb $500-$600 value. Fourth. It doesn't have the brake components for this year, Shorty lever, cable and drum. $1k value. If it was a schwinn badged bike with all the goodies I would easily be a $8-$10k bike.

Joey.

When I was asked what it was worth, I said 5-6 unseen after seeing the bike in pictures i valued it at around 6,500 strong. I cant wait to see the bike in person as its an incredible find, I also want to ride it lol but we will see how that goes.

Nick.

My two cents,
This bike is in very nice condition when it comes to the paint. I value it in the $6k- $8k range. The first reason I price it at this range is because its a Ranger. The second reason is that is has silveray lights instead of the highly desired seiss, $600 value. Third, it doesn't have a fender bomb $500-$600 value. Fourth. It doesn't have the brake components for this year, Shorty lever, cable and drum. $1k value. If it was a schwinn badged bike with all the goodies I would easily be a $8-$10k bike.

Joey.

Correct me if I am wrong, but this bicycle appears to be the smallest size and would play into value as well.
I also wonder as Schwinn or big roller collectors get there autocycles, just how many are left with the ability and would engage in an auction full throttle?
Chris

So, what do I measure to determine the frame size? I saw there are different sizes from an old Schwinn brochure, but it wasn't clear on what that measurement consisted of.

Also, would the smallest size likely be worth less than the other sizes? or are they show pieces and the size is fairly irrelevant? I saw somewhere in my browsing that somebody didn't like the largest size because it made the slope of the straight bar look odd.

So, what do I measure to determine the frame size? I saw there are different sizes from an old Schwinn brochure, but it wasn't clear on what that measurement consisted of.

Also, would the smallest size likely be worth less than the other sizes? or are they show pieces and the size is fairly irrelevant? I saw somewhere in my browsing that somebody didn't like the largest size because it made the slope of the straight bar look odd.

Size matters to those that ride these vintage bicycles and many in our hobby do just that.
Measure from the center of the bottom bracket (holding the crank) up the seat tube until the point of the seat post opening.
I believe there are 3 sizes and I am going from memory here at 16, 17, and 18 inches.
Speaking for myself, I would spend more money on the larger size all things being equal as I am no pip-squeak.
Chris

I personally do not like the tall frame size in this model. The geometry seems

all off to me. Your bike is fine, frame wise. It's a true American treasure.

Ok, so from the center of the crank, to the top of the seat tube/seat post opening, is 18 inches. The 1938 Schwinn catalog lists the size options as 16, 18, and 20 inches.

The owner specified, that the bike was not for sale, but for insurance purposes, that he'd like to know the value.
$8,000 to $10,000 is what it should be insured for.
If he wanted to sell it, my guess is, that if he listed it for $4,000 it would sell in about two seconds, and that he'd still be doubling his money.
If he listed it for $5,000 it would sell in about ten minutes.
If he listed it for $6,000 it would sell in about an hour.
If he listed it for $7,000 it would sell in about twelve hours.
If he listed it for $8,000 it would sell in about twenty four hours.
A totally over restored Autocycle sat for about a month or so, last year, with a $10,000 dollar price tag. We all thought that it was wishful thinking, but to everybody's surprise, that bike eventually sold for its asking price.
This bike is far and away, a better bike than that one was.

All these words. But..... What market do you hit for SOMEONE to Pay 8,000 to 10,000 for THIS BIKE? WHERE. 98% of America does not have this money to pay for a Bicycle. Especially this year.

Back