When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction score of the year?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
People who argue about costs, values, prices... MONEY, are usually only in it for money... They care more about the money into and or out of it than any other aspect of collecting. Sad but true. Please don't spend too much time thinking about what it's worth, rather ride it and ENJOY it. Or stare at it, dream about it, love it, smell it, feel it, talk to it and put it to bed at night. Because as of right now, it's only worth about 400.

The original poster asked about the value on the bicycle for insurance purposes. We're simply replying with our opinion. That doesn't mean we are only into the hobby for money.

1938 ranger autocycle

This is a wonderful find.
The value is priceless!
Just wash it down with mild soap and water.
Wipe it dry and do nothing more.
Don't even think of selling it.
It is a once in a life time find.
Wes pinchot

An insurer whether it be your home or private, is not going to care about values and estimates made by forum members. They will only care about what was paid at auction. Maybe if there was substantial evidence or receipt of an exact item at auction or publicly purchased reported by a reputable source for , they would. If he wants to insure it for 8,000. Then he can and should. But, he's going to need something to show that it is worth that much. Like his 400.00 auction receipt. Or a list of items sold on eBay from a parted out ranger that brought 8000. Because, show me another one exactly like that one that recently sold in this thinning market. Like there's so many of these things out there.

My guess is an insurer won't know the difference between a ranger or a Schwinn. They would probably just match it from pictures. Find a Schwinn that sold recently and I think it will be enough proof. Hell, you could probably show pictures of an aerocycle and they wouldn't care as long as you were paying the premiums.

Thanks guys for all of the input. I'll post a picture of the wiring diagram once I get it into some stiff plastic, and I'll definitely figure out how to properly insure it for that 8-10 grand. Depending upon my school workload, I might get a chance to clean off some of the dust over Thanksgiving, otherwise it might be winter break. He will definitely make an appearance in Minnesota, not sure if it will be at the Penn Cycle meet, or the annual fall ride, as it depends on what I find for a job.

winner winner

Winner Winner chicken dinner, for the buy of the year!

Have fun with it, ride it but be gentle and enjoy the conversations people will have with you when you do ride it. Because you have so little into it don't get romanced into selling it because of the profit, but enjoy the fact you have very little invested into an iconic and classic ride.

GenuineRides

Winner Winner chicken dinner, for the buy of the year!

Have fun with it, ride it but be gentle and enjoy the conversations people will have with you when you do ride it. Because you have so little into it don't get romanced into selling it because of the profit, but enjoy the fact you have very little invested into an iconic and classic ride.

GenuineRides

Wonder what became of this?

Update 2/17/14

The plan is to clean it up over spring break (March 8-16). I've been acquiring a few things, like a nice set of vintage whitewalls, delta lenses, and a fender ornament. I brought it home to my parent's house in Minneapolis over winter break and unexpectedly ended up working at my old job instead of making it pretty. Minnesota in March isn't too friendly for taking a ride on it, but I should be able to get some decent pictures.

my ranger

years ago ,i was on my way to work at the schwinn museum in chicago ,jim hurd asked me to stop in stutgart arkansas to look at this bike , when i arrived on the scene it was 7 fifteen , in the morning, the elderly couple was eating breakfast ,, when they invited me in the home , he handed me the photo of the ranger autocycle ,, i told him i would offer 1,500 , and if he did not like my offer he would have to tell me what he wanted ,, .. his wife was hugging me before i completed my words ,, after i payed the money and put the bike in my van.. I asked him ,now that we have finished the transaction ,,how much would you have sold it for ,,he told me he had it for sale locally for over a year for 200.00,and never heard a word,, a few days later i got a letter from them thanking me for being good on my price and the letter came with a newspaper article about me ,coming to town to buy a 200.00 bike for 1,500, they thought it was a dream ,, i sold the autocycle for 3,500 24 hours later ,, walter branche/ pickin and grinnin.. thanks everyone for sharing, your words and stories,

Back