When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AUSTIN, TX. THIS MORNING

-

all riders

Finally riding a big boys bike
Supposed to get down to 7 degrees by monday with a chance of 3-4 inches of snow. Before you scoff, understand that, down here, when it just rains, people drive their cars into the nearest tree!

It was 80 a few days ago in my part of Texas. I woke up to the same. It'll be a low of 5 on Monday. I went out yesterday to get pipe insulation and pine shavings for my chickens and all the cold weather supplies are sold out everywhere in town. Its the same here, as soon as it starts rains you hear the sirens. Ice in Texas causes 100 car pileups like yesterday!

It is hard for places in the south to deal with ice and snow. Here in Winnipeg Canada we deal with snow and freezing temps all winter, we have the equipment to deal with the ice. This morning it is mid -30's and into -40's with windchill. We never see the vehicle pileups that Texas had yesterday.

Originally from West Virginia; North & South Carolina are the same way when it rains heavy & snows. As a kid I remember having snow so high it covered the school windows but they actually salted the roads & plowed them. We went to school. Kid born in '84 & raised by a dad from '65 & a mom from '68. I can't stand 11° weather so to Antarctica with that -30° & colder weather of Canada & areas.

I moved here 3 years ago from Washington state, originally from Connecticut so I’m used to the cold. I miss the snow and winters especially winter in the Cascades.
We had a freak snowstorm here a few weeks ago and every Texan I talked to said it was the most snow in over 40 years. I’m glad I kept my Fatbike!

8B4D95DC-EFF0-4388-880C-71CF25362BA5.jpeg

My niece just announced that her and her husband had bought a house on the lake in Erie, Pennsylvania.
I’m like, why would you do that?
But, in all seriousness, I took a look at the satellite view of their place, and a part of my thought, it looked pretty cool.
It had a high of 25 degrees yesterday, which didn’t seem so bad, but I’ll bet that wind coming off Lake Erie can make it feel like 25 below.

Last edited:
Erie PA is pretty cool. I have lived here for 46 of my 56 years. A small city (big town) with everything anyone needs. Lake Erie and Presque Isle State Park make a great front yard. May through October are really nice. Winters seem to be milder now than I remember growing up here. The four seasons are great for changing scenery and variety. Winters do get cold but it makes it a good time to focus on work and bicycles and not feel guilty staying indoors. I lived in Tempe AZ for six years and, hate to say it, got a little tired of it being sunny everyday and everything looking the same 12 months a year. Would be glad to show your niece and her husband around.

Back