When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Austria 3 Speed Shifter for 1959 Schwinn Corvette

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

goldwood

Look Ma, No Hands!
A few years ago I purchased a 1959 Schwinn Corvette. Everything on it seemed original including the cables, tires and tubes. The bike was built on February 6th 1959 and has the Austria 3 speed hub. The shifter is not like the egg shaped ones that I have seen photos of that are paired with Austria hubs. I am wondering if this is the shifter that came on the original build of the bike or was it replaced at a later date?

20210619_135330.jpg

Schwinn had something going on with the three speeds for some time during 58-59 with SA having issues and there have been some odd set ups that have shown up. The Austrian hub was used as one of the substitutes and some 58's I've seen have shown up with a Brampton. I've seen that shifter on some earlier Schwinn lightweights so it's possible they could have used it on 59 model Corvette.

I'd say it's legit too. I had a late Nov '57 stamped Corvette last summer (so likely sold in '58) and it had the same "baseball diamond" shifter as yours. What's the serial number on your '59?

Jay

My 10/58 Jaguar MkII came with the Austrian set-up, originally. Your shifter is the later version. Sturmey was having trouble supplying hubs, machinist strike or something IIRC.

IMG_1395.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

Here is Jeff's old early 61 Speedster that was later sold to island schwinn.

1645384895290.png

Thanks everyone for the information on my bike! It also has a unique chain guard that has a small brace to it. I have seen this on a few 1959 middleweight Schwinns. Here is my serial number as requested.

20210619_135417.jpg

serial.jpg

Your Corvette has the first edition of the new 59 guards with that support wire. Those 59 guards had at least one change during production with a different method of supporting the lower section of the guard. Then a second change where the bent supporting tab at the inside was made a little larger.

Last edited:
Back