When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automobile skate (roller skate

-
Just too cool........ That motor tho:D

Hi @Hans Brinker

The above information come from the website of a member here, Wing your Heel. He may know more.

With credit to Wing your Heel, I like this picture, mainly for the caption 'In the Year 2000' (En L'an 2000). Those appear to be electric skates...

1588576295988.png

The Road Skate above was invented by Augustus Nichols Lindsley of New York, though it was also patented at least in the UK, Austria and Canada.

Here is his improved road skate

He was also inventing Shades for Gas Lamps. A man of his times ...

A patent search just for the term 'Road Skate' shows there were lots of patents for inline type skates from at least 1894 onwards. I honestly don't have time to search them all, but the link is here if you'd like to do so:

Type Road Skate into the second 'Title or Abstract box.

On the result list, there are two sorting boxes at the top. Sort by 'Publication Date' in the left box, and 'Ascending' in the right box. Now they are in date order, but you'll need to do this again every time after looking at a patent (it's rubbish!)

Choose a Patent, click on 'Original Document' on the left hand menu.

At the top of the image, there's a toolbar with a box saying something similar to "1/8 Bibliography". Click on this to choose the document pages, Drawings is probably what you want.

Anything interesting you can download as a .pdf using the 'download' option on the right of the toolbar.

Happy Hunting,

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi, I am Hans Brinkel from the Netherlands/Europe. not sure or this mesage is in the right topic? I recently bought a pair of antique roller skates or roller skis with 2 wheels. (My guess it is made between 1890-1920 period) It is marked Automobile skate , extension 9 to 12 inch, Pat apld for. Could it be possible that his is made by the C.C.M. company? I see advertisements for ice skates, but not roller skates so far.(besides modern ones) Please see attached files. Already many thanks for your respons, Regards, Hans (p.s i do also have a pair made by automobile cycle skate/ pat'd oct 1905/JOHN JAY YOUNG/New York, USA)

View attachment 1178602

View attachment 1178606

View attachment 1178609

View attachment 1178612

View attachment 1178614

View attachment 1178616

View attachment 1178618

View attachment 1178619

View attachment 1178623

View attachment 1178625

View attachment 1178626

View attachment 1178628

View attachment 1178632

View attachment 1178639

View attachment 1178640
I have a pair of John J young inline skates from the early 1900s, probably First shoe version

I hope this is allowed? If not let me know and I will delete this posting. I have started a new facebook group for collecting antique ice skates and roller skates.
I think a lot of people with interest of antique and vintage bicycles maybe interested also in antique roller skates?
If interested, please do a search for : Antique Ice skates and roller skates on facebook
Thank you
Regards, Hans From the Netherlands

I hope this is allowed? If not let me know and I will delete this posting. I have started a new facebook group for collecting antique ice skates and roller skates.
I think a lot of people with interest of antique and vintage bicycles maybe interested also in antique roller skates?
If interested, please do a search for : Antique Ice skates and roller skates on facebook
Thank you
Regards, Hans From the Netherlands

Hi Hans,

Can you tell me anything about this 19th century albumen printed photograph?

Kind thanks,

Brant

Back