When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automoto Identification

-
Alright folks, I have taken ownership of this bike. A nice guy who departed with it, but I think he was looking for something a little different based our discussion. I am pretty much of the opinion that it is an Automoto frame built for another brand. I have already determined that it has a French threaded BB. Mismatched front (French make) and rear (SUBLIME; not familiar with it) calipers indicate replacement of one or both cailpers. More than likely the wheels are not original given the roller/rod brake design on the rims. It doesn't show any indication of having brake linkage hardware installed. I don't believe the holes in the top tube were for brake hardware, and definitely not for internal cable routing, although it seems possible to "repurpose" them for that use. Odd difference from other Automoto frames is the forward pump peg braze-ons (I have only seen seat tube posterior pegs), and the fork crown not being of a cross tube style. The saddle is probably of French origin; I should be able to determine the make with some effort; it's in rough shape, and would at present be painful to ride (like getting a 'wedgie'); but may be able to be refurbished for short leisure riding. Regardless, I have some old Ideale saddles, one of which should blend in nicely enough even though not period. Rear hub has a single speed Regina FW, with a fixed cog on the opposite side. Overall, hubs and crank (now serviced) are in good working order. I have a set of wooden rims that would look good once it gets a paint job (green and white?). I've seen a variety of badges so need to find one close to the period if possible. Pedals are definitely not period, but I have some 30s-40s French style pedals (haven't verified threading yet). Nice looking nicked (I believe) plated stem. I doubt bars (more track style, not Maes) are original given the frame geometry. Bars need wrap.

There are a few mentions of bikes from the 1930's in Tontonvelo featuring "Sublime" calipers, but sadly no information on this marque itself.
There were so many copies of what is basically the "Bowden" caliper with many different brand names.
I still think it's worth pursuing the old bike shop route re. the Mosca chainset, but is the Italian freewheel French or Italian threaded?

@dnc1 good question about the FW; I have not separated it from the hub body yet. Thinking that the hubs were probably part of the (assumed) replaced wheels so may only provide limited info with thread type. I have not researched the Mosca tie-in (I assumed crankset replaced on either an original or a replacement BB assy); that was a shop in Italy? I should have everything apart in the coming weeks if my work schedule permits it. I don't belive the previous owner serviced any of it, but who knows.

@dnc1 good question about the FW; I have not separated it from the hub body yet. Thinking that the hubs were probably part of the (assumed) replaced wheels so may only provide limited info with thread type. I have not researched the Mosca tie-in (I assumed crankset replaced on either an original or a replacement BB assy); that was a shop in Italy? I should have everything apart in the coming weeks if my work schedule permits it. I don't belive the previous owner serviced any of it, but who knows.
Have a look back at post #7 in this thread.

'Mosca' is not too uncommon surname in the French, Swiss, Italian alpine regions.
Apparently there is/was an old bicycle shop of that name in Grenoble, France.
Also 'Cicli Mosca' is a shop in Mariano Comense in the Como region.
Might be worth further exploration.
That company's history is modern; established in 2007 so I don't think that there is any common link other than the name. Maybe some family relationship, but I have not found anything to support that yet. https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...ristian.d4a8679b9101e381f1371a0dc8112f97.html

Period correct head badge for my bike. I have seen another of similar design that was supposedly from a 1920s bike; Velobase entry has that same design estimated to be from the 1910s-1930s (quote: "This badge appeared in the 1910's and desappeared before 1930. A another version with bigger T continued in the beginning of the 30's"). Late 30s had a more simple badge with the distinct "AuTomoTo" logo. I believe my badge to be early to mid 30s having the later logo lettering, but the earlier fancy design.

I have been unable to verify Mosca as the bike rebrand so I may install an Automoto made crankset from rhe same period.

My badge:

Velobase example:

(Photo Credit: VeloBase User jjbbo)

Back