When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Automoto Identification

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Picked up an Automoto made crankset. I believe the chainwheel is original to the cranks; nickel plated, similar patina.
I find it interesting that the chainwheel's spoke decor is the same as that of the "MOSCA" chainwheel on the spoke that has no letter embellishment. I know that Automoto produced their own components so if the chainwheel I obtained is an Automoto then it stands to reason that the "MOSCA" chainwheel is also an Automoto product and may indicate it being original to the frame, and thus could indicate the what brand the bike was originally built for. That's my best Sherlock Holmes deduction anyways, as I have none better; nor has an alternate explanation been offered.
I am still rebuilding the frame as an Automoto since I have no reference as to the Mosca design other than the chainwheel example which might not be authentic to the actual company logo. Using the "MOSCA" chainwheel on the 30s Gerbi frame which is getting put to the front of the after the Automoto regarding the antique projects.

Last edited:
I got my Automoto hubs in last week and I am now a bit confused, not by the hubs themselves, but by the butterfly nuts I had planned on using. I didn't know what the hub axle threading would be, but I knew I had some French nuts hoping they would fit. I have no metric thread pitch gauge to verify actual threads.
Both hubs are the same diameter which surprised me, and the rear is smaller than I would have thought. If they were the same, I figured that the front would match a larger diameter spindle and not the other way around.
The nuts that fit both hubs are cast with "OXO" and I believe "DEPOSE" (assuming "DÉPOSÉ") markings, and they have been stamped "9" or "6". I only had one pair. Another pair I have are cast with "95" and nothing else. The latter do not fit the Automoto hubs, but they do fit the front hub axle of of Gipiemme set of track hubs. Neither fit nut sets the rear "GPM" hub, nor do they fit the front or rear axles of an English set of track hubs. I thought Italian hubs were 9mm front and 10mm rear; but I have probably never measured them before since my pitch gauge is SAE.
I am assuming (probably incorrectly) the "95" is .95mm thread pitch, and "9" is .9mm thread pitch.
Any thoughts? I am not familiar with the "OXO" brand from that time period ( presumably pre-50s).

Upper set fits Italian front track hubs; lower set fits Automoto front and rear hubs.

Automoto hubs; I believe they are nickel plated.

I've seen French hubs that have 8, 9, 9.5, 10 and 11mm hub axles from the early 20th. Century. Although 11mm is pretty unusual.
The hubs on my unknown French bike, 'Inconnu' has larger diameter rear axles.

Hi, @Jesper

The 9 and 9.5 are for 9.0 and 9.5mm diameter axles.

Best Regards,

Adrian
What seems odd is that the "95" marked nuts start to thread onto the Automoto axles (maybe 2 turns). If those nuts were for 9.5mm axles, but of the same thread pitch as the "9" nuts, they should have easily threaded onto the Automoto axles while having a loose fit. I am not saying you are wrong, but I just could not understand why the presumably larger nuts were not able to thread onto the smaller axle diameter. Also, I have not experienced (to my knowledge) a 9.5mm (just 9mm and 10mm) Italian axle from the modern era (or any era, but not enough experience there); the "GPM" track hubs are circa 70s-80s. I will procure a metric thread gauge just to verify the pitch (nuts and axles), and I will also put a micrometer on the axles to verify diameters.
I hope everything jives with what I am being told thus far, and it is just coincidence the manner in which they happen to fit or not fit due to the very close size differences

Hi, @Jesper

The 9 and 9.5 are for 9.0 and 9.5mm diameter axles.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Please accept my humble apology! It would seem that due to a lack of sleep (happening quite regularly nowadays), I got everything mixed up. I had already labelled my parts bag with the correct information ("95" fits Automoto), but when thinking about it towards the actual application my brain just didn't click and I got things completely backwards. I may have also been confused when I had tried both sets of nuts on the English hubs thinking they were the Italian ones. The "95" nuts fit the Automoto hubs just fine; hub axle diameter measured 9.45mm. The "9" nuts fit the front GPM track hub just fine; hub axle diameter measured 8.89mm. At least I knew what the Italian hub should have been.
So at least this can be a reference for some (maybe all) early Automoto hubs which require 9.5mm hardware. I don't know if that also applies to other French made hubs of that era. I will verify the Maxi hubs I have on the Baggi and see if they have the same diameter.
Thanks for setting me straight and making me double check my own work!

By the way, the 9.5mm nuts do fit on the Italian hub, but of course quite loose as one would imagine.

I have continually been trying to determine the maker and time period of this particular chainwheel design.
I have recently been exploring Girardengo bikes and came across another example of the design. Unfortunately, I could not discern the make of the crank arm (if original with the chainwheel) for ID purposes.
It is mounted on a 1933 (per website) Girardengo bike, but again it is not known if it original to the bike, yet no info was provided to say it was not. The site I took it from is fairly adamant about providing info if something is or is not original. The site also stated that it did not know what components were installed as OE, and it based original parts more on their time frame of manufacture/availability.

This chainwheel "spoke" is very similar to the one mated to the Automoto cranks I have, and the "spoke" design on the "MOSCA" chainwheel. It is missing the small protrusions nearer to the center of the chainwheel. Both the "Automoto" & "MOSCA" wheels have those small "bumps" on them, but otherwise it looks the same from what I can see.
Seeing it on a 1933 bike (if bike is of that year and the part OE) gives some credence to the approximate year of my Automoto frame which I figured to be very late '20s- early 30s. Hopefully, I can find it on another bike to give me more confidence in dating my bike. Of course, seeing it on an Italian bike does add to some of the mystery as to its country of origin.

Edit: I was able to view the photo with higher resolution and found the cranks are stamped "GIRARDENGO"

dscn3592.gif

dscn3601.gif

Photo credits: Utah Randonneur website (Girardengo Barn)

Last edited:
Back