When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AUTOMOTO MY GODNES WHAT A BEAUTY

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I checked my stock of old badges to see the difference. Aside from color scheme (at least what's left on mine) it is the same. I believe it was from an early 50s model (owner replaced theirs with a better example). I have seen a different, although similar, variant that has different lettering and alternate graphics (still darn close though!).

My "new" badge:

Alternate version; I think earlier (sometime in the 40s) than the above example:

(Photo credit: ads of old)

-----

is anyone familiar with the heraldric device seen at the bottom of this headplate?

the spheroid item appears it may be intended to represent a fruit

alternately it may be intended to represent a king or queen's Sovereign's Orb of office, part of a set of crown jewels as here -
1645587486954.png

1645587585787.png

1645587774352.png

there are some family crests which include a fruit image...

there is likely to be a proper heraldric term for the crossed leaves(?) which frame it

-----

Last edited:
@juvela , I had thought that it was a pineapple or ananas symbolizing luxury (not hospitality). Not sure what the crossed boughs mean (if that is what they are!; possibly antlers?). Other possibilities: hops fruit, or artichoke? What would their meaning be? I thought the clover had to do with the 3 main developers of the company years after it was initially established. I think there were 4 actual founders before the Automoto name came into being. I know there is a good history of the company. Maybe already linked here? Yup, @dnc1 has it linked on the previous page. I need to read it again. The 3 earliest badges have no "fruit" symbol, only the clovers, and those badges were during and after their prime racing successes.

Here is the badge I think that came after my 30s example. Located on velobase; as mounted to the head tube; wish they showed the whole tube so I could see the lugs. Still just clovers. It is described as a 1930s badge. It is definitely prior to the examples shown in my previous post. Considering they used at least 7 badges during their history you would think that it would help to date these bikes better; but no one seems to have definitive data (in general) as to the actual year of their bike's manufacture. I would like to see some catalogues or brochures that have good clear images of the badges, but so far I really haven't see anything that really helps. I will take photos of the one (maybe 2) original brochure I have; I'm not sure if it has a date on it or not.

Photo Credit: VeloBase User martl

The leaves look like interpretations of 'Acanthus' foliage, a classical symbol first used in ancient Greece and often representing immortality or rebirth, but they also bear some similarities to Artichoke foliage.
This 'Acanthus' motif was still popular during the 'Art Nouveau' period which preceded 'Art Deco'.

The fruit symbol looks more like a Strawberry to me. The Strawberry can also symbolise rebirth.

Perhaps the company had relaunched after a difficult period?

Last edited:
There are some 18 catalogues and extracts available to view on forum 'Tontonvelo' plus many period newspaper articles,advertisements and price lists etc.
@Jesper, but you have to trawl through 34 pages to find them.

Last edited:
There are 19 different 'Automoto' headbadges shown on the 'Tontonvelo' list of marques headbadges.
Only 3 of them featuring the curious design in question. You've featured two of them above @Jesper, here is the third.....
6bx5IxHQ.jpeg

...this version suggests an armorial origin, perhaps a coat of arms of one of the founders, or more likely to me, a city/town.

Just as I surmised, it bears strong similarities to the coat of arms of the city of St. Etienne, home of 'Automoto' through most of their existence.....
Screenshot_20220223-090121_eBay.jpg

...so they are Palm leaves, not Acanthus, but the 'fruit' remains a mystery.

The clue for me was that their earliest badges feature the name of the city, which for those who are unaware, is one of the traditional centres of bicycle manufacturing in France.....
wfZ27YZw.jpeg

ZKBY0orQ.png

Last edited:
With 19 badges (and counting?) it should make it even easier to date these bikes if there wasn't overlap or use of different badges during a model year, but on different models. I looked up the palm leaves significance and it means "victory with integrity", or at least victory. Based on the Greek goddess Nike, winged goddess of victory. That certainly makes sense, as does the St Etienne coat of arms. So we still need to unravel the 'fruit' mystery; maybe a pinecone? I wonder if the Tonton velo folks know?

Per the Tonton Velo folks my badge is circa 1947; the other example in my post is circa 1941; but they showed no year info for the bike in question here. I had seen that chainwheel for sale listed as 30s --50s on ebay so no help there.

Back