When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Av Gas

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

37fleetwood

Riding a '37 Fleetwood
What happens if you (accidentally) put Aviation gas into your Bluebird?
probably something like this...

IMG_7009smx_zpssryt2c7m.jpg

It's been tough out here in the skies of the Pacific!

I had a rotten AC bogie on my tail on Sunday, I could tell by the silhouette of the frame and the click of the Morrow hub that it was a full dress bomber. I banked hard, pulled back and he passed me. Then two easy to identify Green Huffman recon bombers were gaining on me like a cheetah on an wildebeast so I pushed to a full on climb and hit 20,000 until they were dots on a lady bug. They are the only two Streamlines known in the Pacifc, piloted by Lt. Brann and Lt. Colver- highly decorated war heroes. The downfall with Huffmans is that they are heavy and can't climb like an Elgin F4U which led to their demise of production.

I was hoping to see a Robin on the way so it could drop a bomb on the Autocycle airbase at the Pike Airfield, off the coast of Long Beach, but no luck- only an unarmed Oriole showed and they are only good for trainers and flight control practice. One big concern was an Aerocycle manned by Lt. Spence... he was the driving force behind all of the AC bombers and DX dogfighters and is an ace pilot. Lt. Clark was also at the Pike airbase but his Cycleplane was out of commision and was scheduled for a potential pilot swap, (a.k.a for sale.)

The real threat to the F4U was the climb to gain altitude on the way to the Queen of the Pacific, the Queen Mary. I was low on fuel and low on food, I gave her all she had until I couldnt see the tips her hydramatic prop. I noticed that the squadron leader from Jafco was stalled out and limped his CWC bomber until destination. I slowed up to make sure he arrived safely, you see ladies and gents Jim aka WhisperJim was in the first World War in the air of France and Germany- he is the real deal and we owe him a debt of gratitude.

We reached the Queen Mary parched and quickly found a machine that held Coca- Cola. It was most likely Commie made because it was next to a Russian Submarine but we didnt care and drank it anyway. As soon as we arrived we heard from Commanding officer Drews to bail out and go back to the mess hall. There was some chatter on the radios that a full fleet of ACs was coming and ready to blockbust the Queen. When we reached the mess hall we refueled with a great rib BBQ dinner and rested. We had a good laugh with Lt. Hammond who had all the great mess hall jokes (and brothel stories,) to make you laugh (and gag,) at the same time. We followed Lt. Shogren close by on the way back to the main air base because he had extra fuel in his Cycle Air Transporter. You see this was just training, we are all US pilots performing dogfighting and bombing practice. At the end of the day Schwinns, Elgins, Huffmans, CWC bombers and more all landed safely at the Portfolio air field in Long Beach to enjoy some R&R.

We all have to thank our war photo journalist Scotty "Snapshot" Seymour for the great shots of all our aircraft.

I just want to say to all my fellow Pilots that I couldnt have built this bike without you. You are what makes me want to get up in the morning to build bicycles. I love you all!!!

Last edited:
When we reached the mess hall we refueled with a great rib BBQ dinner and rested. We had a good laugh with Lt. Hammond who had all the great mess hall jokes (and brothel stories,) to make you laugh (and gag,) at the same time.

Yo Joe, what happens at the rib BBQ dinner stays at the rib BBQ dinner. I can't have the wife hearing about those brothel stories.

It's been tough out here in the skies of the Pacific!

I had a rotten AC bogie on my tail on Sunday, I could tell by the silhouette of the frame and the click of the Morrow hub that it was a full dress bomber. I banked hard, pulled back and he passed me. Then two easy to identify Green Huffman recon bombers were gaining on me like a cheetah on an wildebeast so I pushed to a full on climb and hit 20,000 until they were dots on a lady bug. They are the only two Streamlines known in the Pacifc, piloted by Lt. Brann and Lt. Colver- highly decorated war heroes. The downfall with Huffmans is that they are heavy and can't climb like an Elgin F4U which led to their demise of production.

IMG_6987sm_zpsomyk6gin.jpg

Back