When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Awesome early Repack pics

-
Thanks for the interest Pondo?
I found the 3 speed frame in a ditch. Refinished it in a really nice light metallic blue from the auto parts store.
Then while in a bicycle shop I ask about the knobby tires that were hanging on the wall. They were for bicycle speedway, remember this is in the U.K. I had them lace the 26'' rims to a road bike 5 speed hub, then spread the frame to fit. Shifting on the top tube and cow horn bars worked great for sliding around in the dirt speedway style.
The front crank arms and bottom bracket are cotter key style, standard issue back then in the U.K. as were the abbreviated fenders.
That's very cool! I didn't realize this was a UK based build. Great use for a frame that someone had just chucked. I just blew the pic up to get a better look at the details: tires, cranks, shifter, derailleur. It's a real good looking bike and it having been a 3 speed opens up more options for a similar build. I don't know if I would have even thought to use a 3 speed frame but it seems obvious now that I've seen your bike. What would you have called this style of bike back then, if anything? There was an early offroad pioneer (can't think of his name right now but I think it may have been in the '50s or '60s?) that had a similar build that he called a 'woodsy bike.' You were ahead of the Marin klunkers by a good 5 or 6 years.

Lots of three speed frames back then as this was the type of bike that had full fenders and a Sturmey Archer 3 speed, most Dads rode to work on.
My bike is a Hi-bred for sure, having a sit up style and a 5 speed derailleur. I think the moral of the story is we used what we had on hand. For me it was a double triangle frame and road bike gears, for the guys in the U.S. it was the fat tire bikes at first. So it took some time to get back to basics.
Making it cool, popular and commercially viable, that's what the Marin guys did.
I do remember saving a pic of the 1953 Woodsy bike a little while ago.

woodsie-bike.jpg

Last edited:
I think the moral of the story is we used what we had on hand.
Those are the types of builds that I love. Doing what you can with what you have to do what you want. Good stuff.
Making it cool, popular and commercially viable, that's what the Marin guys did.
100%. They popularized the modern mountain bike craze which is an amazing feat.

I really enjoy all versions of early all-roads bikes and klunkers. John Finley Scott is a fascinating character in bike history. There's a really good tribute build to his first 1953 Woodsie bike here with lots of history:

I'd like to do a similar build at some point just for fun. 😎

So I just played spot the difference to the point of not close and no cigar. He got the seat right.
Here is the pic from the auction so you can play along.
Starting at the front.
Wrong front hub, handle bar stem, handlebars, cables ,fork and brake.
Different frame, seat clamp the most obvious.
Different chain-ring. Rims and tires.
Woodsie has no water-bottle. But does have a bulb horn which should have been easy to add if you are trying to duplicate.
Looking again it would be easier to name what is correct, the seat and chain tensioner, thats it?
Thanks for the link BTW
Maybe I should try and make a replicer of my 67 off road bike? The Windmill special.

Screenshot (764).png

Screenshot (765).png

Last edited:
Back