When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B.F. Goodrich Hornet Built By Schwinn

-

Zooming993

On Training Wheels
New to this site and relatively new to vintage bicycles. I purchased the Hornet shown in the attached photos recently. I purchased it mainly for parts but after seeing it I thought it looked to nice to dismantle it. According to the Seller he found in a barn still owned by the original purchaser/owner. It appears complete but the tires are in bad shape along with the fender light and luggage rack. I'd like to know if this bike is worth restoring (new tires, chain, replace luggage rack, fender light and clean up rusty parts) or should I leave it the way it is?

Thank you.

20220803_191655.jpg

20220803_191727.jpg

20220803_191736.jpg

Welcome to the Cabe!

That looks like a 1954 Hornet and it's pretty much all original. What parts were you looking for? And what would you do with it if you refurbished it? Resale value would most likely be minimal, but if there's someone in your family that would actually use it, I'd say it's worth the effort cleaning it up. If you have the time and desire. The light and carrier can just be removed if not replaced.

Thats in great condition, beautifully preserved paint. This would make a nice rider with a little cleanup up and lube job on all the bearing surfaces. For $25-$30 you should be able to find a replacement horn for the tank. Grease, new tires and tubes it should be ready to roll for another 75 years.

This one I found as a frame, put some 80s rims of it and the ride is so stable I can ride a block or more with no hands, just smooth. Sometimes I ride it for my M-W-F group ride, about 12 miles. They're all on modern road bikes, mountain bikes and modern urban cruisers. I'm on a 1947 girls Klunker parts bike. Wish the paint on mine was as nice as yours, my wife might ride it more often!😁

Welcome to the Cabe!

That looks like a 1954 Hornet and it's pretty much all original. What parts were you looking for? And what would you do with it if you refurbished it? Resale value would most likely be minimal, but if there's someone in your family that would actually use it, I'd say it's worth the effort cleaning it up. If you have the time and desire. The light and carrier can just be removed if not replaced.
GTs58, thanks for the reply. It's unlikely anyone in my family will ride it, so I'd probably just partially restore it. I just enjoy restoring things (go karts, mini bikes, motorcycles, etc) so I'd probably just sell it. If I were to install new tires and remove the damaged rack and light, what would you think the resale value would be, I know you thought it would be minimal?

Thanks for your help/opinion.

Thats in great condition, beautifully preserved paint. This would make a nice rider with a little cleanup up and lube job on all the bearing surfaces. For $25-$30 you should be able to find a replacement horn for the tank. Grease, new tires and tubes it should be ready to roll for another 75 years.

This one I found as a frame, put some 80s rims of it and the ride is so stable I can ride a block or more with no hands, just smooth. Sometimes I ride it for my M-W-F group ride, about 12 miles. They're all on modern road bikes, mountain bikes and modern urban cruisers. I'm on a 1947 girls Klunker parts bike. Wish the paint on mine was as nice as yours, my wife might ride it more often!😁

View attachment 1692466
gkeep, thanks for reply.

I like your bike, specially the white tires. The tires on my Hornet are the original B.F. Goodrich tires and their shot. Do you know if anyone produces tires that are the same or similar to the originals? At this time I don't know what I'm going to end up doing with the bike but I do know I'll leave the frame/paint just the way it is.

Lots of choices with these rims. There are repro tires with similar tread and originals come up often for sale on here.

New to this site and relatively new to vintage bicycles. I purchased the Hornet shown in the attached photos recently. I purchased it mainly for parts but after seeing it I thought it looked to nice to dismantle it. According to the Seller he found in a barn still owned by the original purchaser/owner. It appears complete but the tires are in bad shape along with the fender light and luggage rack. I'd like to know if this bike is worth restoring (new tires, chain, replace luggage rack, fender light and clean up rusty parts) or should I leave it the way it is?

Thank you.

View attachment 1692433

View attachment 1692434

View attachment 1692435
Not worth restoring.....parts have some value.....girls bikes can be a very tough sell ....

One of the lower end bikes built by Schwinn as evidenced by the (missing) “detachable“ kickstand.”

Back